1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dimi_pat

I went to Aegina recently and enjoyed the pistachios while there (it was during the Pistachio Festival!). They are soooo good - so much tastier than the store bought ones here in the US.

Anyway, I brought home a lot - I want to do something with them. I had pistachio baklava while there. I have enough to make a batch at home. Can I use my regular baklava recipe and just use pistachios instead of walnuts?

The pistachio festival on the Island of Aegina is beautiful. The pistachio are amazing and yes very different taste then what we get here in America. Also the color, a beautiful green.
To answer your question, yes you can sub any nut in your baklava. You can even use a combination of nuts. Experiment see what you like.
We are currently working on our next book and it’s a baking book about BAKLAVA. Different nuts different combos different flavors and Baklava inspired dessert. Stay tuned!

The pistachio festival on the Island of Aegina is beautiful. The pistachio are amazing and yes very different taste then what we get here in America. Also the color, a beautiful green.
To answer your question, yes you can sub any nut in your baklava. You can even use a combination of nuts. Experiment see what you like.
We are currently working on our next book and it’s a baking book about BAKLAVA. Different nuts different combos different flavors and Baklava inspired dessert. Stay tuned!

I agree! You can use any kind of nut you want- the Greeks seem to use what they have, so I have had baklava with walnut, almond, and pistachio depending on where in Greece I was.

What makes Greek yogurt so special?

I've recently started seeing Greek yogurt everywhere—from grocery store aisles to recipes and even fitness blogs. It seems like it's become a major trend, but I'm curious to know more about it. What makes Greek yogurt so special compared to regular yogurt? Does it really offer more nutritional benefits, or is it just a fad?

I’ve heard it has a thicker texture and is higher in protein, but I’d love to hear from people who regularly consume it or have done their own research. Are there particular brands you recommend? Any specific health benefits or potential downsides I should be aware of?

Menu - Advice on What to Serve at a Greek Dinner Party

I'm planning to host a Greek-themed dinner party and could use some advice on what dishes to serve. I want to create an authentic experience for my guests and ensure they get a true taste of Greek cuisine.

Here are a few ideas I have in mind:
  • Tzatziki
  • Dolmades
  • Spanakopita
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek Salad
  • Lemon Potatoes
Should I add or subtract anything?

How do you use Lemon in Greek cuisine?

I know that lemons are common in Greek cuisine. I cook Greek all the time, and I use lemons a lot!

What are some traditional Greek dishes that you use lemons for? I am curious what people do. I tend to make a lot of ladolemono and use it to marinate meats. I also use it as a garnish all the time for both meats and vegetables like spinach, asparagus, etc.

I had thought all Greeks use lemon a lot, but I went over someone's house (Greek) and they didn't seem as into it as my family is...

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!

Favorite Greek comfort foods?

I'm curious to know: what are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

Personally, I've heard a lot about moussaka and spanakopita, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Do you have any recommendations or recipes for these dishes? Or perhaps there are other less-known but equally delicious Greek comfort foods I should be aware of?

Looking forward to hearing your favorites and any tips you have for making or finding these comforting dishes!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back