1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dimi_pat

I went to Aegina recently and enjoyed the pistachios while there (it was during the Pistachio Festival!). They are soooo good - so much tastier than the store bought ones here in the US.

Anyway, I brought home a lot - I want to do something with them. I had pistachio baklava while there. I have enough to make a batch at home. Can I use my regular baklava recipe and just use pistachios instead of walnuts?

The pistachio festival on the Island of Aegina is beautiful. The pistachio are amazing and yes very different taste then what we get here in America. Also the color, a beautiful green.
To answer your question, yes you can sub any nut in your baklava. You can even use a combination of nuts. Experiment see what you like.
We are currently working on our next book and it’s a baking book about BAKLAVA. Different nuts different combos different flavors and Baklava inspired dessert. Stay tuned!

The pistachio festival on the Island of Aegina is beautiful. The pistachio are amazing and yes very different taste then what we get here in America. Also the color, a beautiful green.
To answer your question, yes you can sub any nut in your baklava. You can even use a combination of nuts. Experiment see what you like.
We are currently working on our next book and it’s a baking book about BAKLAVA. Different nuts different combos different flavors and Baklava inspired dessert. Stay tuned!

I agree! You can use any kind of nut you want- the Greeks seem to use what they have, so I have had baklava with walnut, almond, and pistachio depending on where in Greece I was.

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?

What foods go best with ouzo?

I am curious - what goods go best with Ouzo? Traditionally, I don't actually pay attention.

From my understanding, Ouzo is traditionally enjoyed with small plates, similar to tapas, known as "mezedes" in Greece. Yet, I’m eager to hear from those who have either traveled to Greece or have an in-depth knowledge of Greek cuisine about what specific dishes you think would pair best with Ouzo. Are there specific flavors or types of dishes (seafood, meats, vegetables) that enhance the experience of sipping Ouzo?

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.

Best Greek seafood dishes for summer grilling?

Summer is in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the season than firing up the grill? Which seafood dishes perfect for grilling. Greek cuisine's blend of fresh ingredients, herbs, and spices makes it an ideal choice for light, summery meals, and I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Do you have favorite Greek seafood recipes or dishes that shine especially bright when cooked over an open flame? Whether it's a classic recipe or a personal twist on traditional fare,I know about things like grilled octopus marinated in olive oil and oregano to the simplicity of shrimp saganaki.

Additionally, if you have preparation tips, marinade secrets, or any advice on grilling seafood the Greek way, please share. Thanks so much!

Different kinds of baklava to try?

I've recently found myself on a delicious quest to explore the world of baklava, that rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup. I understand that baklava has roots in many culinary traditions across the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, each bringing its own unique twist to this iconic dessert.

From what I’ve gathered, the variations of baklava are as numerous as they are delicious, differing in nuts, spices, types of syrup, and preparation methods. However, navigating through these variations is quite the challenge, and that’s where I’m seeking your collective wisdom!

I am curious what you guys think!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back