1 - 2 of 2 Posts

knicks_fan87

Christmas carolling is a beautiful tradition in Greece that is celebrated and done throughout all regions of Greece. Crete has some special Christmas traditions such as the Christmas boat which you will see in the image of this video. I would love to visit Crete one day to celebrate Christmas there and experience all of the beautiful traditions and hopefully see some young school children singing and spreading Christmas cheer.

This is so festive. I love how Greek Christmas songs retain the instrumentation from traditional music. The photos that are part of this video are great, too.

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)

Favorite Museums on the Island of Crete

I love Crete - the history in particular fascinates me. I thought I'd share my favorite museums to visit. I am not usually a museum person, but these are interesting to me.

Heraklion Archaeological Museum

If you want to delve deep into Crete's ancient history, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum should be your first stop. This museum houses one of the most impressive collections of Minoan artifacts in the world, including pottery, jewelry, frescoes, and statues. I love learning about the Minoans!

Nikos Kazantzakis Museum

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Cretan writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis. The museum is located in the village of Myrtia, where Kazantzakis was born and raised. This one is a quick one to go through, but is super interesting.

Historical Museum of Crete

The Historical Museum of Crete in Heraklion offers a comprehensive view of the island's history and culture from the early Christian era to the present day. The museum has exhibits on ancient and medieval Crete, the Cretan Renaissance, and the island's role in the Greek Revolution. The history of this island is pretty rich!

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Video Walk Through of Heraklion Archaeological Museum

I am very fascinated by Greek history, particularly form the Minoan Civilization.

I would very much love to visit Crete so that I can learn more and see where it all happened.

I found this video of a museum I would love to visit. You don't need to have the sound turned on, it's really about the images and all you'll hear is background noise. But, I still found it pretty interesting.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back