1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

This dinner was absolutely exquisite! It was a lovely roasted lamb shake, with small pieces of pasta. We also ordered a grilled lavraki which was one of the best I’ve ever had in my life. I just can’t get enough of Greek food, it’s always so fresh and cooked to perfection. Greetings from my holiday!

4E56A3F5-DF7F-4E6F-A638-4EF884F6BC87.jpeg

k_tsoukalas

Do you know that I have never had Lavraki? I will have to try it!

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Compiling a List of Fasting Recipes and Foods

So, I am slowly figuring out what my fasting style is going to be. I am going to start by fasting on Fridays. I am putting together a list of foods I can have during fasting days. I decided to do completely vegan this one day a week. Here is my list of foods:

- Lentils and rice
- Lentil soup
- Anything with chickpeas
- Salads dressed with lemon juice or vinegar (if it is a no oil day)
- Breads - I am going to shoot for multigrain on fasting days
- Lots of vegetables in general
- Occasionally eat fruit

What do you guys do?

Greek American Thanksgiving Rice/ Hamburg Dish?

My family makes this dish and I am trying to recreate it and maybe even try something different... I know it might take me a while to nail down my technique before Thanksgiving, and I will even want to do at least one test run.

As far as I can tell this is basically the technique:

Sauce one chopped onion
Brown the hamburg
Add salt, pepper, and spices (I think my family uses allspice?)
Stir in the rice
Add water
Cook it.
Stir in roasted chestnuts.

As you can see, I don't know amounts or timing. Can someone help me recreate it?

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Info about the Greek Mediterranean diet

I love Greek food and I am trying to stay healthy and lose weight. So, I have been following a healthy lifestyle and trying to adopt the Mediterranean diet. I noticed that some Greek foods are kind of meat oriented, but I have realized that a lot of these foods aren't eaten every day. So, I have been researching. Here are some resources I found:

I would love to find some other resources. Share them if you know them!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter