1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Monolithos Castle is a stunning castle that was built in the 15th century and remains until this day. This is a birds eye view of the castle so you can get a good idea of what the ruins look like. The Castle is located in the the village of Monolithos which is about a couple of miles from the city. There is no fee to get into the area and walk around and its open pretty much all day!

This looks like such a cool place to visit! Thanks for sharing this.

Monolithos Castle is a stunning castle that was built in the 15th century and remains until this day. This is a birds eye view of the castle so you can get a good idea of what the ruins look like. The Castle is located in the the village of Monolithos which is about a couple of miles from the city. There is no fee to get into the area and walk around and its open pretty much all day!

The ambiguities of the English language or of binary terms!
I was intrigued by the term "Monolithos Castle" for it could be the name of a certain object in Rhodes, or "Monolithos [Single Stone] could be the name of a castle {analogously to saying "the Colosseum Amphitheater}, or "monolithos", a noun, could be used as a descriptive adjective of a castle, in which case one should say : "the Monolithic Castle" which is hewn out of a single rock -- which has been done in other countries. Fortunately an online article about "Monolithos" informs us that a city in Rhodes is called Monolithos, wherefore this word is the name of a city. However, this name does not describe the city. The city acquired this name by the fact that it has a huge upright rock around which and on which the city was built. The castle on the monolithos or in the city called "Monolithos" is called -- in English syntaxing -- "Monolithos Castle". // An analogous appellation (calling/naming) was done in ancient Palestine: The name of a hill, Zion", was given to the city [already named "Jerusalem"] which had been built around and on it. A temple had been built on it. I presume that this particular temple was -- in the Greek language syntaxing -- a Zion, a Z-ion, analogously to "Herma-ion" [Hermes temple/abode] or the Italian "Formica-io" [Ant-abode/house, an abode or hole filled with ants]. // Of course, "Z" is not a word, for a word has to be a syllable that contains a vowel in order for it to be uttered/spoken. So, I presume that it is what is left over from an abbreviated word, such as a rapidly pronounced, or what is yielded by combinig an abbreviated word with a whole word. E.g., *Zey- and -ion could be fused into *Zeyion [Zeuion in sound], which, being phonetically rough, might lead to *Zeion and then to Zion or even Sion. {A phonetic process like this has been called Lenition (Smoothening). Euphemy was always a Greek concern. The Dorians, Greeks, who migrated to pre-Semitic Palestine, must have built Zeus' temple [Zion] on a hill of Jerusalem, which was later measured, refurbished, and rededicated by the Judaean Salomon. //
The French or English word "odeon"
is < Gr. O(i)deion, = song chamber; auditorium.
If the Dorians dedicated a temple to Ia/Ya/Yas, they might call it "Iado-ion" or Iadion. Does anybody know if a temple to Ya was ever built anywhere or if such a word was ever coined?
{For more about Ia and "Ia", please connect to the thread about Ialyssos in this Rhodes Forum.}
By the way, the addition of a sound or letter to a word {an Epenthesis} for euphonic purposes has been called a Fortition, a Strengthening. E.g., Gr. Saos >Lat. Sanos >Sanus > Eng. Sane (that is, whole, integral, uncracked, unbroken, coherent). However, an epenthesis may be done for the sake of restoring an abbreviated word, or of supplying a syncategorematic term. E.g., supplyING, abbreviatED, hiS [< he's, as in Robert's], lunAR, continuAL, continuOUS, etc.

Last edited:

Visiting Ancient Ramiro's on Rhodes

I realized I have never seen this site and I am traveling with history buffs. I thought I'd ask you all for some advice:

1. Best Time to Visit: What’s the best time of year to explore Ancient Kamiros to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  2. Getting There: Are there public transportation options available, or would renting a vehicle be advisable? Any tips on parking or the best times to arrive?
  3. Must-Sees: Within the site, are there any particular spots or artifacts that are a must-see? I'm interested in capturing some great photos and soaking in the history.
  4. Tour. Should I take a tour? Anything to recommend?

Recommend a good beach near Rhodes Town?

I am trying to plan my latest trip to Greece. To be honest, I don't like to plan too heavily, but I do like to know where I am staying and have a general idea of things to do. Whether or not I do them once I arrive is another story, but at least I have options.

There are a lot of beaches near Rhodes Town. Do you guys have a favorite? Some options I found:

• Elli Beach
  • Kato Petres Beach
  • Sachtouri Beach
I am just basing this list on what I found on the Internet. I have no attachment. I love beaches that have services close or as part of the beach. Like a toilet, maybe a restaurant or cafe.

Update on Rhodes after the fires?

I know that Rhodes had a rough summer. I am starting to think about planning my trip to Greece for September 2024. I don't know yet what my plan is, but I always wanted to go to Rhodes to see the Lindos Acropolis area and the Knights of Saint John. I have some people in my party who are history buffs and they would be thrilled if we finally went. We didn't go last year because of all that was going on in the island.

But, I am starting to see Rhodes appear again on Cruise itineraries, and cruising might be a possibility for us because we will be traveling with multiple generations.

For those of you who know the island well, or even might know people on the island, what do you think?

Traveling to Rhodes this Year?

I have a friend who was supposed to go to Rhodes this year as part of a cruise. This isn't until September. She saw about the fires and is freaking out a little bit. The cruise company hasn't been in touch yet.

Do you guys have any advice on what she should do, so I can pass it along to her? She's not online much so I thought I'd post this for her.

Holiday season coming to a close in Greece & the islands

Soon tavernas/bars & shops will be closing until 2024.By mid november it will be very quiet.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back