1 - 4 of 4 Posts

paharo45

I've been trying to make more homemade food, so I can save some money and be a bit healthier. I love Greek yogurt especially when I get it fresh and homemade from the Greek supermarket (like the one in this pic, the traditional bowl is so cute!). But is there any way I can make it at home? I've seen a bunch of different recipes online, but I would love your advice. It seems like a pretty big task!!

YOGURT.jpg

Reactions: dubai_suzie
It is totally possible! I love making it all the time. If you really want it to come out right, you will need a thermometer to check the temperature of the yogurt. It can be quite finicky.

Reactions: mastichas09
Yes and it’s so easy to make. You grab a starter from another yogurt like fage grab a gallon of milk bring to a boil ,let rest until you can hold your pinky finger in it and count to 16 with out it burning you, melt in your starter, find a Tupperware with lid, pour mixture in it, find a blanket and 4 bath towels and wrap the Tupperware in it. Let it set for hours 10 maybe longer for yogurt to form

Food at Greek Weddings?

When it comes to planning a Greek wedding, what Greek food is traditional to serve? I am helping my friend play her wedding and want to gather information.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on the traditional Greek foods served at weddings? I'm curious about dishes that are must-haves on the big day, any symbolic meanings behind certain foods, and how the menu reflects Greek culture and traditions.

I remember at my cousin's wedding, they had kourabedies and some sort of traditional Cretan rice pilaf served at weddings (they're Cretan, but the wedding was in the US).

Strict Lenten Fast Greek Salad

I have to prepare a salad for a lenten meal at church. Most people aren't super picky about it, as long as there are vegetables present.

Last time I prepared a salad, someone saw there was oil in the dressing and wouldn't touch the salad! So, I looked it up - and oil isn't allowed during lent for a strict fast. I had no idea.

How do I compose a salad for a crowd that caters to the strict fast?

I am thinking to make the salad and just use vegetables, nothing else.

Then, I can offer a regular dressing choice, and then also maybe just lemon wedges or some vinegar for the stricter fasters? Do you guys think that would work?

Greek Vegetable Casserole Recipe (Briam)

Now that it is lent, I will be making this a lot. I bring it to lenten potlucks at my church and I make it all the time at home. Here's a recipe I use - I do change up the vegetables sometimes depending on what I can find. I might omit eggplant, for example, and I would replace it with two additional zucchini.

Ingredients:​

• 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
  • 2 eggplants, sliced
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced or 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp oregano, dried
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly oil a large baking dish.
  2. Prepare the vegetables: Slice the zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes, onions, and bell peppers into even pieces. If using fresh tomatoes, slice them as well; otherwise, have your can of diced tomatoes ready.
  3. Layer the vegetables in the dish: Start with a layer of potatoes at the bottom, followed by eggplants, zucchinis, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Repeat the layering process until all the vegetables are used.
  4. Season and oil: Once all the vegetables are layered, drizzle them with olive oil and add a final sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried oregano. For a touch of freshness, add the chopped parsley over the top.
  5. Bake: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized on the edges.

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back