1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I have noticed in Greek restaurants that the vegetables I am served are always soft. I like them this way, they are way easier to digest than the half-raw vegetables served in typical restaurant situations.

They are not only soft, but the perfect amount of softness - they aren't falling apart and still taste great. So, I tried to cook my vegetables a little longer at home and it was a disaster. They got too soft and everything fell apart. Any tips?

Reactions: Hash
Thank you! Seems the "popular" advice of last decade or so is to steam or cook vegetables and have them remain somewhat crispy, which goes against how we had our vegetables served to us as children. I don't recall any Greek child refusing to eat vegetables. Seemed like we all liked them.

What vegetables have you tried, and how did you cook them and how long did you cook them? Steamed, roasted in oven? I've made big pans of vegetables in the oven, drizzled with olive oil and all cooked until tender. Some vegetables lend themselves to this method better than others. Typically, I would roast a potato or two, a large onion, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and/or yellow summer squash. Zucchini usually cooks fairly quickly, so I'd add it towards the end, needs 40-60 minutes at most. I'd also check pan and move vegetables around a bit ever 30-45 minutes, this also gives you a good idea of just how "done" they are.

Here's a site that has a recipe you might want to take a look at.

Don't give up. And good luck!

I find that when I cook the vegetables in some kind of acid, it usually breaks them down more and makes them soft. For me, it was a matter of, in general, getting past the convention in the US and cooking vegetables for longer than we were taught. It's been a timing thing, plus the acid, that have made the biggest difference,

When I tried replicating it at home, I faced the same problem of them turning into mush. Here's a tip that worked for me: try blanching your veggies briefly in boiling water and then transferring them to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. This way, they'll retain some texture while still being soft enough. It's all about finding that balance! By the way, have you checked out Americasrestaurant.com? They have some amazing recipes and recommendations for great restaurants to visit. Just thought you might find it helpful!

Last edited:

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back