1 - 10 of 10 Posts

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I just wanted to share that one of the most memorable day trips that I took while staying in the Athens area was The Temple of Poseidon on Cape Sounion. I didn't really know what to expect but it ended up being memorable. My mother said this was a common excursion on one of the Mediterranean cruises that my parents took, and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

So, we hired a taxi there from the hotel and our timing was perfect. It worked out that we got there right at sunset, and the pictures I took while here were some of the most beautiful of the whole trip. Here's a photo of what it looks like:

Attachments

• temple-of-poseidon-cape-sounion.jpg
    temple-of-poseidon-cape-sounion.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TatianaS
Great suggestion! Another thing that we always do when in Athens is spend time at the Acropolis and also changing of the gaurds at the tomb of the unknown soldier

IMG_7046-720x540.jpg

Reactions: TatianaS and Jawge
How far is it from downtown Athens? I didn't plan on going but now I want to add it to my itinerary!

Reactions: Jawge
How far is it from downtown Athens? I didn't plan on going but now I want to add it to my itinerary!
From what I remember it is about 20 min cab ride.

Reactions: blopez34
The Parthenon and Plaka are memorable.

Love love love Sounio especially at sunset. The drive is about an hour from downtown Athens but you can take the metro to a closer stop if your taking a cab. I believe you can also do a bus tour from the city center. Also some great beaches near by to take a dip so you can easily make a day of it.

It depends on traffic and where you are. We stayed outside of Athens and I think it might have been around 40 minutes from our location. Not a bad distance at all!

It depends on traffic and where you are. We stayed outside of Athens and I think it might have been around 40 minutes from our location. Not a bad distance at all!
Really? We hired a cab from our hotel in Glyfada to go to Sounion, and I thought it was about 50 minutes. I thought Athens was further, and Mapquest thinks it's 1 hour 7 minutes from Athens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawge
Really? We hired a cab from our hotel in Glyfada to go to Sounion, and I thought it was about 50 minutes. I thought Athens was further, and Mapquest thinks it's 1 hour 7 minutes from Athens.
It really does depend on traffic and what part of Athens you are in. For example if you have to cut through downtown during peak traffic it will take well over an hour! I would say plan on an hour give or take if you are in the vacinity. Play it safe and go earlier in the day and spend some time at one of the local beaches there!

Reactions: Joni T.
I just wanted to share that one of the most memorable day trips that I took while staying in the Athens area was The Temple of Poseidon on Cape Sounion. I didn't really know what to expect but it ended up being memorable. My mother said this was a common excursion on one of the Mediterranean cruises that my parents took, and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

So, we hired a taxi there from the hotel and our timing was perfect. It worked out that we got there right at sunset, and the pictures I took while here were some of the most beautiful of the whole trip. Here's a photo of what it looks like:
If you ever have a chance to go back, make a stop at the Monastery of St. Paul the Apostle in Paliokamariza, Lavrion. It's a beautiful monastery and the nun's have an organic farm with olives, fruits and herbs. There are also handmade crafts and other items available in their gift shop.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Best shopping in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and I'm a bit of a shopaholic. I want to make the most of my time there and experience the best shopping the city has to offer.

From what I've heard, Athens is a treasure trove of markets, boutiques, and shops - but I'd really appreciate some local or experienced insights.

Could anyone recommend:
  • The best areas for unique, local finds?
  • Any specific stores known for quality Greek goods?
  • Tips for navigating the markets?
I've only done historical things in Athens and visited friends. I have never taken the time to shop, but I will have plenty of time in Athens over the summer.

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back