1 - 10 of 10 Posts

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I just wanted to share that one of the most memorable day trips that I took while staying in the Athens area was The Temple of Poseidon on Cape Sounion. I didn't really know what to expect but it ended up being memorable. My mother said this was a common excursion on one of the Mediterranean cruises that my parents took, and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

So, we hired a taxi there from the hotel and our timing was perfect. It worked out that we got there right at sunset, and the pictures I took while here were some of the most beautiful of the whole trip. Here's a photo of what it looks like:

Attachments

• temple-of-poseidon-cape-sounion.jpg
    temple-of-poseidon-cape-sounion.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TatianaS
Great suggestion! Another thing that we always do when in Athens is spend time at the Acropolis and also changing of the gaurds at the tomb of the unknown soldier

IMG_7046-720x540.jpg

Reactions: TatianaS and Jawge
How far is it from downtown Athens? I didn't plan on going but now I want to add it to my itinerary!

Reactions: Jawge
How far is it from downtown Athens? I didn't plan on going but now I want to add it to my itinerary!
From what I remember it is about 20 min cab ride.

Reactions: blopez34
The Parthenon and Plaka are memorable.

Love love love Sounio especially at sunset. The drive is about an hour from downtown Athens but you can take the metro to a closer stop if your taking a cab. I believe you can also do a bus tour from the city center. Also some great beaches near by to take a dip so you can easily make a day of it.

It depends on traffic and where you are. We stayed outside of Athens and I think it might have been around 40 minutes from our location. Not a bad distance at all!

It depends on traffic and where you are. We stayed outside of Athens and I think it might have been around 40 minutes from our location. Not a bad distance at all!
Really? We hired a cab from our hotel in Glyfada to go to Sounion, and I thought it was about 50 minutes. I thought Athens was further, and Mapquest thinks it's 1 hour 7 minutes from Athens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawge
Really? We hired a cab from our hotel in Glyfada to go to Sounion, and I thought it was about 50 minutes. I thought Athens was further, and Mapquest thinks it's 1 hour 7 minutes from Athens.
It really does depend on traffic and what part of Athens you are in. For example if you have to cut through downtown during peak traffic it will take well over an hour! I would say plan on an hour give or take if you are in the vacinity. Play it safe and go earlier in the day and spend some time at one of the local beaches there!

Reactions: Joni T.
I just wanted to share that one of the most memorable day trips that I took while staying in the Athens area was The Temple of Poseidon on Cape Sounion. I didn't really know what to expect but it ended up being memorable. My mother said this was a common excursion on one of the Mediterranean cruises that my parents took, and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

So, we hired a taxi there from the hotel and our timing was perfect. It worked out that we got there right at sunset, and the pictures I took while here were some of the most beautiful of the whole trip. Here's a photo of what it looks like:
If you ever have a chance to go back, make a stop at the Monastery of St. Paul the Apostle in Paliokamariza, Lavrion. It's a beautiful monastery and the nun's have an organic farm with olives, fruits and herbs. There are also handmade crafts and other items available in their gift shop.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Taking the Ferry to Mykonos?

I am planning a trip for Greece next year to Greece. I usually fly into Athens and then fly into a place like Santorini or Mykonos from there.

I plan to go to Mykonos next summer and I am kind of sick of flying.

Is the ferry situation easy from Piraeus? Is this a better option than airplanes?

Someone told me I could wait until the last minute and buy the tickets that day, but I am not sure I feel comfortable with that...
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back