1 - 3 of 3 Posts

acamp7

What’s interesting about Hero’s invention is that he created it well before the Industrial Revolution that took place in parts of the world in the 1700’s and 1800’s. This means that the Ancient Greeks were capable of advanced mathematical, scientific, and mechanical thought, which enabled them to see the world differently. This was a huge advancement in society.

steam-engine-720x593.jpg

Reactions: Kristi and blopez34

blopez34

Amazing!! There is so much history and innovation coming out of Alexandri during these times

k_tsoukalas

I had no idea that the steam engine was invented so long ago! Thank you for sharing this.

How Greece joined the European Union

After World War II and Greece's Civil War, Greece had the opportunity to build itself back up again and renew it's a economy. A lot of European nations decided that creating a strong union would increase solidarity and improve the economy amongst the countries after World War II. Greece was influenced to sign the agreement and it officially join the European Union in 1981. There was a lot of back-and-forth on whether this was actually a good idea and whether it truly benefitted agrees to join. What do you all think?

European-Union-720x479.jpg

How do you celebrate Oxi Day?

How do all of you celebrate? I love attending any parades that are happening

Oxi-Day-720x480.jpg

What is the best topic for a history paper about Greece?

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?

Did you know that the anchor was invented in Ancient Greece?

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.

The history of the gyro

The history of the gyro has actually been debated for years. Food historians believe that the gyro actually arrived in Greece in the early 1920’s as refugees from Asia Minor, mainly from Constantinople (now Istanbul) and Smyrna (now Izmir). Many of these people had Greek ancestry, and they brought the tradition of the gyro with them. Some legends indicate, however, that the first gyro handlers in Athens were actually of Armenian decent.

It was fairly common for these refugees to open small shops, mainly in Athens, and that helped increase the food’s popularity. As the people of Athens caught on, the dish started spreading to other areas of Greece. Eventually, Greeks who began leaving Greece for other countries, such s the United States, brought the food with them and the tradition continued in countries such as the United States and Canada.

gyro.jpg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter