1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nm1999

I have been cooking Greek food at home lately and I seem to have gotten stuck in a bit of a rut. Well, there's truly no such thing with Greek cooking because it's all delicious, but I do seem to be cooking the same things all the time. Here's what I have been cooking. Let me know if you have ideas of dishes I should try next:

** Tiropita and Spanakopita - I seem to alternate between them

** Souvlaki - I have the routine down with this and it's an easy one to put together. I make it with lamb, pork, chicken, or beef. Mostly it's either lamb or chicken, though.

** Dolmades

I think what I am looking for are dishes that are a bit simpler to put together than these.

ellinasgolfer0320

Off the top of my head, here are some new ideas:
1. Spanakopita, but make your own phyllo.
2. Soutzoukakia
3. Giouverlakia
4. Fasolada
5. Fakes
6. Tigania (chicken or beef)
7. Giouvetsi
8. Stifado (with beef or rabbit)
9. Gemista
10. Gyros (chicken or pork) - if you do pork then try making tzatziki, if you so chicken then try making "sauce" which is a combination of Greek yogurt, mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise that Greeks put on a gyros.

Reactions: wee5 and nm1999

nm1999

Off the top of my head, here are some new ideas:
1. Spanakopita, but make your own phyllo.
2. Soutzoukakia
3. Giouverlakia
4. Fasolada
5. Fakes
6. Tigania (chicken or beef)
7. Giouvetsi
8. Stifado (with beef or rabbit)
9. Gemista
10. Gyros (chicken or pork) - if you do pork then try making tzatziki, if you so chicken then try making "sauce" which is a combination of Greek yogurt, mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise that Greeks put on a gyros.

Thank you so much for chiming in! I think I will try to make that sauce or the gyros. Do you by any chance know the proportions? This is a great list, I can't wait to get started! For the Stifado, I beef will be a bit easier for me to find than rabbit - but I think I might try to track some rabbit down.

k_tsoukalas

Where I am at, it is getting cold out but I have been getting a kick out of running the grill even as the days get shorter and colder. So, I have been cooking a lot of souvlaki, loukaniko, and recently I am on a big soutzoukakia kick. For those, make Greek meatballs and instead of rolling them out, work the meat onto skewers to cook.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Biftekia me patates sto fourno, Pastitsio (which is time consuming but freezable so you have dinner for another day), Imam.

Reactions: wee5

Melamakarona Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg

Favorite Greek winter desserts or cookies?

I love to bake in the winter and now with Christmas coming up, the urge is even stronger. I do plan to make melamakarona and baklava but I want to try one other thing. Maybe something like a spice cookie? I recently had something that was like a kouoloraki but it had a different texture and used a lot of spices. Does anyone know what that is? It's spiced with clove, cinnamon, maybe something else too.

Does anyone have a good stifado recipe?

I used to make it, but I don't know where my recipe went and I never had it memorized. I plan to make it with beef. I recall we used a bunch of different spices. The main issue is the I can't remember the spice combination. Also, I used to make it in a pressure cooker but I no longer have one. I am assuming it's okay to do it on the stove?

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube