1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?
Halloween is connected with the Roman Catholic commemorative day of the souls (November 2, if I am not wrong). The Orthodox Church has established many such commemorative days throughout the year (the "Psychosavvata"=Saturdays of the souls). For example, in October, on Saturday before the feast of St. Demetrius the Great Martyr (October 26) there is such a day. People go to the cemeteries and the priests say a relatively short prayer (the "Trisagion", which literally means "Thrice-Holy") above the tombs of the departed. So, indeed Halloween is not compatible with the Greek tradition. However, there are some Halloween events which take place in Greece (e.g. parties) or, if I am not wrong, even Halloween stuff sold in the shops.

Reactions: lalajess

lalajess

Halloween is connected with the Roman Catholic commemorative day of the souls (November 2, if I am not wrong). The Orthodox Church has established many such commemorative days throughout the year (the "Psychosavvata"=Saturdays of the souls). For example, in October, on Saturday before the feast of St. Demetrius the Great Martyr (October 26) there is such a day. People go to the cemeteries and the priests say a relatively short prayer (the "Trisagion", which literally means "Thrice-Holy") above the tombs of the departed. So, indeed Halloween is not compatible with the Greek tradition. However, there are some Halloween events which take place in Greece (e.g. parties) or, if I am not wrong, even Halloween stuff sold in the shops.
From what I can tell, it's the United States that really goes nuts for Halloween. However, because of that influence and maybe from movies and shows that are made in the USA that go to other countries, it seems like there is at least. small presence.

Love your explanation from an Orthodox perspective - that's what's most important. It really isn't a Christian day at all...

ellinasgolfer0320

Historically, no because it is an American holiday. Today, you might find a few Halloween parties because they love to copy American culture/traditions.

k_tsoukalas

That's been my experience, as well. I was even in Greece once on Halloween and nothing really seemed to be going on.

Greek Ships Christmas Tradition?

I have heard of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas. I think it's called karakavi? Does anyone know anything more about it? This isn't a tradition my family adopted but I have heard of friends doing it. I am thinking of adding it to our holiday celebrations this year.

From what I can tell, people who don't have an actual boat decorate models of boats. At first, I thought based on pics I had seen of Greece in the past, that boat owners were just being festive. lol

Things to Know When Visiting Greece?

I found this article very helpful... I am going soon and this isn't my first time, but I still fond this helpful:

Do you have anything to add t this list? #3 - find your latest alike - really caught my eye. I am a photographer so this is a work/play type of trip and I bet I can get some great slice of life shots there.

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube