1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Joni T.

Traditionally Greeks dye their red eggs on the Thursday of Holy Week. Greeks are really into tradition. I'm wondering what other people have come up with as being easiest. It has taken years of analyzing the way that works best for me, so I thought I'd share.... So, when I was a kid my mother used Ritz red dye, and we used to EAT the eggs. It's a miracle we didn't get poisoned. Then I decided to use red food coloring and eggs came out pink, not the rich red symbolic of the blood of Christ. Then I discovered that the Greek store (I go to Sophia's in Lowell, MA) sells dye specific for dying eggs with directions in both English and Greek on the back. So I followed the directions on the back and dumped the whole packet into a huge pan which ended up hard to clean. As time went on, I discovered I could use only ½ of the packet and use a small container, doing 4 eggs at a time. This year I only used ⅓ of the contents of the packet. So what do you do?

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3470.jpeg
    IMG_3470.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3464.jpeg
    IMG_3464.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Traditionally you can use red and white onion leaves to color red eggs and tumeric to color yellow eggs.They result in pretty good.(ofcourse not as bright as chemical coloring)

Traditionally you can use red and white onion leaves to color red eggs and tumeric to color yellow eggs.They result in pretty good.(ofcourse not as bright as chemical coloring)
Oh wow. Bet that's what Greeks in Greece do. They figured out how to do everything from what they have in nature. Our ancestors were unbelievable!

My mother used the same red dye. I don't think you can get that deep red color with anything else. Sometimes the dye would seep into the egg, but we just cut it off. I'm smiling because I remember one Easter when my brother realized what she used. He had a hissy fit! I said to him, "You've been eating these eggs for over 50 years and you're still fine." His response "Who says I'm fine?!" After the eggs were cooled, she would take a soft clean cloth with a little olive oil on it and "polish" the eggs. They looked so beatiful - so red and shiny.
Happy Easter to all from the Boston area! (Though I have been vaccinated, I'm still pretty much in lockdown.

My mother used the same red dye. I don't think you can get that deep red color with anything else. Sometimes the dye would seep into the egg, but we just cut it off. I'm smiling because I remember one Easter when my brother realized what she used. He had a hissy fit! I said to him, "You've been eating these eggs for over 50 years and you're still fine." His response "Who says I'm fine?!" After the eggs were cooled, she would take a soft clean cloth with a little olive oil on it and "polish" the eggs. They looked so beatiful - so red and shiny.
Happy Easter to all from the Boston area! (Though I have been vaccinated, I'm still pretty much in lockdown.
What do you use now to dye your eggs?

My dying red eggs for Easter is over. When my sister and I retired we de-cluttered our house. The saucepan i made the red eggs in was given away. Ii only used that saucepan for red eggs.i now go to our local Greek cake shop and order them. I still make sort of koulourakia - I just cannot roll them, melamoukarona without syropi, kouranbries without additional icing sugar. Please do not think other Australian-Greeks do that. I have a blended family and I would rather they eat what they enjoy.

Reactions: efhernandez_
My dying red eggs for Easter is over. When my sister and I retired we de-cluttered our house. The saucepan i made the red eggs in was given away. Ii only used that saucepan for red eggs.i now go to our local Greek cake shop and order them. I still make sort of koulourakia - I just cannot roll them, melamoukarona without syropi, kouranbries without additional icing sugar. Please do not think other Australian-Greeks do that. I have a blended family and I would rather they eat what they enjoy.
I didn't know you could order eggs! That's a cool idea i'll have to try it out

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back