1 - 4 of 4 Posts

mj_toronto8

I am scheduled to go to a Greek wedding in a few months and I am trying to figure out the etiquette of what to wear. It is a Greek-Canadian wedding, fairly traditional in a Greek church with a reception after. Both the bride and groom are Greek-Canadian.

I need advice for wardrobe for men and women, as well as kids. The wedding is in the afternoon, the reception at night. The wedding is in early June. There are no instructions on the invitation on how to dress.

How Greek is the family? Are they from Greece and have they been in Canada long, or have they been in Canada for a while?

If they recently moved to Canada then you can probably wear anything you want (business casual to play it safe), but if they've been in the Canada for a while then wear what you'd wear at other Canadian weddings (something formal)

The reason I'm asking is because in Greece you wear whatever you want to a wedding... you'll see people show up in jeans and a t-shirt and others will be in a suit without a tie.

Reactions: mj_toronto8
How Greek is the family? Are they from Greece and have they been in Canada long, or have they been in Canada for a while?

If they recently moved to Canada then you can probably wear anything you want (business casual to play it safe), but if they've been in the Canada for a while then wear what you'd wear at other Canadian weddings (something formal)

The reason I'm asking is because in Greece you wear whatever you want to a wedding... you'll see people show up in jeans and a t-shirt and others will be in a suit without a tie.
They are recently from Canada. So, it sounds like I can wear whatever I want - something nice but also comfortable. I didn't realize weddings were kind of casual in Greece!

I think Canada is similar to the United States in that people tend to dress up for weddings, similar to church clothes (if your church is more formal). But, it is acceptable to even wear cocktail dresses or evening wear, depending on the type of wedding. Often, it is marked on the invitation. If it isn't, being nicely dressed is implied.

Reactions: mj_toronto8

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back