1 - 5 of 5 Posts

efhernandez_

Does anyone have any predictions about what will happen this fall? Do you know if Greece has any plans to close the border as it did last year. I wonder if this summers tourism had an impact on covid cases and is causing the country to close again. Thoughts?

Chances are there will be another lockdown - this is also what people in Greece believe too. The reason things are open right now is because Greece's gdp is dependent on tourism and without it the economy would crash.

Reactions: cf_fraiser
Chances are there will be another lockdown - this is also what people in Greece believe too. The reason things are open right now is because Greece's gdp is dependent on tourism and without it the economy would crash.
That's what my Greek friends are predicting too. Most countries are remaining open only if a majority of the population are vaccinated, but from what I know there is a big movement to stop mandatory vaccines in Greece so it might take a while for things to stay open year round

Reactions: Hash
Really time will tell! As an FYI here is a good place to see the Covid data in Greece, updated daily:

Does anyone have any predictions about what will happen this fall? Do you know if Greece has any plans to close the border as it did last year. I wonder if this summers tourism had an impact on covid cases and is causing the country to close again. Thoughts?
Honestly, it is hard to say. From CNN - it looks like this article was published, or at least updated, October 2021

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back