1 - 6 of 6 Posts

paharo45

I am trying to figure out what Greeks typically eat/cook for breakfast. It doesn't seem to be that big of a meal in Greece and every time I ask someone what they eat for breakfast, I get different answers - and it's always pretty simple. Fruit, pita, olives, cheese, maybe some bread. Yogurt - the yogurt with honey and walnuts option came up the most often.

I heard from someone that "Brunch" has actually become popular, especially in the cities. Is this true? And if it is, what do Greeks eat for brunch foods?

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Brunch in Greece is very similar to what we have here in America. There is omelets and pancakes, waffles. Of course they are greek inspired but concept is the same.

Reactions: paharo45

k_tsoukalas

Brunch in Greece is very similar to what we have here in America. There is omelets and pancakes, waffles. Of course they are greek inspired but concept is the same.
I didn't know the Greeks ate pancakes and waffles! Do they have any different variations than what we might be used to? I know they eat omelets - had some delicious ones while in Greece...

Jerry s

Native Greeks mostly don't have breakfast, coffee is their breakfast.

paharo45

Native Greeks mostly don't have breakfast, coffee is their breakfast.
I have seen this for sure. I think that people are pretty good about eating when they are hungry and many Greeks don't seem to be hungry when they wake up but I was thinking that when they eat breakfast (even if it is rare) I was curious what they reached for.

Jerry s

Maybe a koulouri with coffee but usually just coffee. When I go to Greece I mostly find foreign tourists ( many from Greek background) so the hotels have full breakfast to cater for them. In some of the lesser touristy islands and country towns where you find mostly native Greeks, they just drink Greek coffee.

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube