1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

I bumped into a recipe called "Cretan Spice Cookies" but I think others also call them "Greek Spice Cookies"...

Anyway, I ate them recently somewhere and I found a recipe. I am questioning the ingredients. Why milk? Also, there's no eggs?

1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm milk
2 t baking soida
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
6 cups flour

Reactions: Voula
I bumped into a recipe called "Cretan Spice Cookies" but I think others also call them "Greek Spice Cookies"...

Anyway, I ate them recently somewhere and I found a recipe. I am questioning the ingredients. Why milk? Also, there's no eggs?

1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm milk
2 t baking soida
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
6 cups flour
I am questioning the milk in the recipe. I think of these also as "olive oil cookies". I would consider omitting the milk and using freshly squeezed orange juice instead. if you do that, I would reduce the sugar to maybe 1/3 of a cup or 1/2 of a cup.

1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm milk
2 t baking soida
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
6 cups flour
Hi! I'm not sure about the milk, either, but I have a recipe from my Yiayia called Ladokouloura, which are cinnamon cookies. She would make them during Lent, so they're vegan and don't have any eggs or milk. Here's a link to my recipe, if you'd like to give them a try!

Greek Rice Pudding Recipe

I love Greek-style rice pudding! My family used to make this all the time but got away from it. It's one of my favorite desserts! Thought I would share my recipe.

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup short-grain rice (such as Arborio)
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Pinch of salt
  • Ground cinnamon for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Rinse the Rice:
    • Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps to remove excess starch.
  2. Cook the Rice:
    • In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
    • Add the rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is partially cooked. Drain any excess water if necessary.
  3. Simmer with Milk:
    • Add the 4 cups of whole milk and the cinnamon stick to the pot with the rice.
    • Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  4. Sweeten and Flavor:
    • Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the mixture has thickened.
    • Stir in the sugar and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the pudding has thickened to your desired consistency.
  5. Add Vanilla:
    • Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
  6. Cool and Serve:
    • Remove the cinnamon stick.
    • Pour the rice pudding into individual serving dishes or a large serving bowl.
    • Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled.

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!

Good Greek Dips and Spreads for Entertaining

I like to entertain and I like to have some good recipes on hand to throw together at the last minute. Did I miss anything? Here's what I have:
  • Tzatziki
  • Hummus
  • Melitzanosalata
  • Taramosalata
  • Fava
I eat tapenade (olive spread) a lot in Greece, but I don't have a good recipe...

List of traditional Greek dishes to try making at home?

I'm curious to hear your recommendations on the top traditional Greek dishes that one can try making at home. While traveling to Greece to experience the authentic flavors firsthand would be ideal, it's not always possible. So, what's the next best thing? Recreating those delicious dishes in our own kitchens!

I've always been fascinated by Greek cuisine, known for its rich flavors and healthy ingredients. But with so many iconic dishes out there, it's hard to decide where to start. I'd love to get some insights from those of you who have either visited Greece or have experience cooking Greek food at home.

Here are a few dishes I've heard are must-tries:
  1. Moussaka
  2. Souvlaki
  3. Spanakopita
  4. Dolmades
  5. Baklava
What would you add? Thanks so much!

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back