1 - 4 of 4 Posts

knicks_fan87

I love hot pepper. I am having some buddies over to watch football over the weekend and I want to serve some Greek foods that are on the spicier side. What do you suggest?

I know the roasted red pepper and feta dip has hot pepper. I can't think of anything else. Of course I could also grill and add some hot pepper to the Greek marinade I use. It tastes pretty good. Can you think of anything else?

You can't think of anything because it's rare for Greeks in Greece to put anything in their food that's spicy.

Another dish would be mpougiournti (μπουγιουρντι), you could stuff any spicy pepper with feta, put a little olive oil on it and bake it in the over (very common in greece).

It would probably be best to take a Greek dish that uses bell peppers and switch them out for a spicier pepper.

Last edited:
Reactions: knicks_fan87
This is a good idea, thanks! Except I have had some hot food in Greece but I know what you mean, it's always been a bit more subtle than what I think of when I think of hot food. Even the red pepper dip isn't all that spicy.

Yes hot food in Greece is different from what is here. It's not really hot, just pleasantly warm. You'll never see something spiced with a hot pepper that makes you cry in Greece! At least, not with traditional food.

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

Greek Souvlaki Marinade Recipe

Now that grilling season is upon us, I thought I would share my souvlaki marinade. I cut the meat in cubes and marinate in plastic bags overnight. I skewer them just before grilling.

Add to a mason jar:
  • 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Then I cover the mason jar and shake, add the meat to the bags, and pour it over. If I am making a huge batch I double the marinade.

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.

Best meze to serve at Easter?

What is the best Greek meze to serve for Greek Easter? I want dishes that will wow my guests and make this Easter unforgettable. I’m looking for meze that are both traditional and have that ‘wow’ factor in terms of visual appeal and taste. I’d appreciate if you could share your favorites and perhaps some personal tips or recipes that make them stand out.

Here’s what I’m considering so far, but I’d love your input:
  • Tzatziki - A refreshing yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip.
  • Spanakopita - Hearty spinach and feta pie encased in flaky pastry.
  • Dolmadakia (Stuffed Grape Leaves) - A tangy and herb-infused delight.
  • Feta cheese. A classic - I sometimes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
  • Olives. No meze spread is complete without olives.
What else should I put out? Or is that enough? We're having about 20 people.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back