1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

What do people traditionally eat in Greece in the months of September and October? Is it still sort of a summer growing season right now? I have a friend who just got back from Greece and said the markets were packed with all veggies and fruits we traditionally think comes from the summer months. She was in Crete and saw a lot of tomatoes, summer squash, other types of squash... she thinks she may have seen some pumpkins too.

Is this normal or is Crete on a different growing season since it is further south?

When I was on Kos in June, there were fields nearby dedicated to growing pumpkins and squashes so it would make sense that they would be ready around now.
On Rhodes recently the pomegranates and citrus fruits were looking ready to go on the trees, but unfortunately there were no markets, only tourist supermarkets where I was staying so only very basic fruit and veg.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
What do people traditionally eat in Greece in the months of September and October? Is it still sort of a summer growing season right now? I have a friend who just got back from Greece and said the markets were packed with all veggies and fruits we traditionally think comes from the summer months. She was in Crete and saw a lot of tomatoes, summer squash, other types of squash... she thinks she may have seen some pumpkins too.

Is this normal or is Crete on a different growing season since it is further south?
I just got back from Greece a few weeks ago and when I was there in mid-late September I saw a bunch of squash, zucchini, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers while I was there. I managed to bump into a non-touristy summer market.

Reactions: Laura48

Adding Hot Pepper to Tiropita?

I'm planning to make Greek tiropita (cheese pie) for a family gathering, and I was thinking of adding a twist by incorporating jalapeño peppers. Has anyone tried this before? I'm curious about how well the spiciness of the jalapeños would complement the creamy cheese filling and the flaky phyllo dough. Would the flavors blend well, or would it be too overpowering? Also, should I use fresh jalapeños, or would pickled ones be better for this recipe?

If you have any tips on how to incorporate them effectively, such as how to prepare the jalapeños or how much to use, I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm aiming for a balance where the heat adds an interesting kick without overwhelming the traditional taste of the tiropita.

Different kinds of Greek salads?

I love horiatiki when I go to Greece - but I also noticed other types of salads being served.

Do they have names?

I tried one or two of them and most of them involved greens - like lettuce, etc.

Are they just the invention of the restaurant or are they common dishes? I guess it's hard to truly know unless I can share examples from restaurants, but Id didn't think to take pics last time I was in Greece.

Popular Greek Foods to Serve at Weddings?

I am involved with planning a wedding where much of the cooking is going to be done by family, just like it is in Greece.

What are the popular and most common foods to serve at weddings in Greece? In that family many of them had been born in Greece so I am curious about what to expect.

Many of them haven't told me what they are cooking and I want to make sure there's enough food. All they basically say is, "We are making typical wedding foods like you'll find in Greece."

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back