1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Souvlaki

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii
You need μέσον. Someone on the "inside" that can help fast track things. This is the only way I was able to get my passport from the Greek embassy in Melbourne many years ago.

But I have since realised that I don't need a Greek passport. I use by Australian passport to get to Greece and from there I can use my Greek citizenship card to get anywhere in Europe.

So ask yourself, do you really need a passport if you have your Greek identity card?

Since I've never lived in Greece, I never had a Greek ID card so it's going to be a problem I guess. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the inside to help me out with the embassy over here. My Father always told me I've experienced nothing in life until I've had a taste of Greek bureaucracy lol.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?

I’ve heard that there are really long lines to get Canadian passports these days as well. It seems that the whole system is broken. Perhaps you can apply for an emergency/expedited passport?
I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.

I've been in contact with them 3 times today by email but not moving forward. It's pretty clear they will not honor that I am a Greek citizen no matter what I do, say, documents I provide. I sent them my Greek Passport today again as they said they lost the email from 2 months ago and they said my passport proves nothing so I think it's time to give up. There must be a mandate within the Greek government to deny citizens living outside Greece a passport renewal I guess.
Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.

Very strange. Do you plan on visiting Greece soon? Perhaps if you’re going there on vacation you might be able to get it sorted out. If you’re willing to pay to get it done faster, Greeks are much more willing to accept bribes.
Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
Yes, it's very strange and not what I expected from an official government outlet. Not really interested at the moment to travel to Greece after all this headache, but would still like my passport. Every time I think they're sincere, they turn around and ignore or void everything. I live 6 hours away, but I think the next step is to visit them directly with all my papers and talk to them.
I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.

I have experienced something similar when trying to get my Greek drivers license, you are not alone in this for sure. Dealing with Greek bureaucracy is an absolute headache. Sorry to hear that this is discouraging you from visiting.
I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7
I've heard it can be quite common but when it actually happens it feels like a bit of a nightmare.
Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.

Sorry to see that you are going through this. You are right my friend.
Thanks! They obviously do not want to help and my family and I have decided why even bother if this is how the Government treats its own citizens.

Last edited:

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Gift Ideas for Greek Christenings

I've had to go to a log of Greek Christenings lately, which means that I know exactly what to do when it comes to gift. I have noticed some gifts traditionally appear. Aside from money, which is also appropriate, here are some ideas:

1. Icons
In Greek religion and culture, icons are considered not just as works of art but as holy objects that help people feel closer to God. Gifting an icon is an incredibly powerful way of expressing love and well wishes to the baby. An icon symbolizes a bond that will stay with the child for a lifetime, and it can hang in their room for years to come. It is an unusual and thoughtful gift that will make a lasting impact.

2. Silver Baby Spoon and Fork Set
A silver baby spoon and fork set is an elegant and memorable gift idea. In Greek culture, silverware is traditional, signifying the precious nature of the sacrament. It is both practical and meaningful and can be passed down through the generations.

3. Christening Outfit
If you're looking for a less traditional gift idea, consider gifting a beautiful christening outfit. This is typically taken care of by either the parents or godparents, so I would check before you buy something.

4. Book of Blessings
A book of blessings containing prayer and passages of faith is an exceptional gift. It is a sentimental and thoughtful gift that will go a long way in nurturing the baby's faith and spiritual growth. Moreover, it is something that the child can revisit years later, reminding them of the love and support they received from their family and friends at the Christening.

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back