1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nm1999

I thought I saw a kopanisti recipe that had yogurt but I don't see any. Most recipes have ingredients like this:
  • Feta cheese
  • Olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • garlic clove
  • roasted red peppers
Can I add a little Greek yogurt for consistency? I love the creaminess!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi nm1999,

I don’t see why you couldn’t. I would start off with 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt for 250gr or half a pound of feta.

Traditional Cretan Cuisine?

It is likely that I will be going to Crete this year, particular the Heraklion area so I can visit Knossos Palace. I have heard that there are some unique elements to Cretan cuisine to explore while there.

Someone told me to order a dish called Dakos. I see online that it is a bread dish with tomato and cheese. Is this something I can make at home easily to give it a try?

I know in the summer, Village Salad is a staple - I heard that they commonly use a cheese that resembles Feta, but isn't?

Cretans seem to love finding their food wild and eating it fresh. I know this is common all over Greece.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

"Greek-Style" Chicken Wings Question...

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.

Greek Cheeses to Eat in Greece...

Growing up outside of Greece, I ate a lot of Feta Cheese ... I mean, it's delicious! Also, it's the easiest to find.

I know that there are a ton of different cheeses in Greece, though, and the cheeses that are available are somewhat regional.

Here is where I know I am definitely going:

Athens
Corinth
Kythira

And if I have time, I was hoping to head to Santorini. I will be in Greece for about a month and I am not sure how long I will stay in each place. There's a lot to see and do in Athens alone, plus I have people to visit.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube