1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

Pomegranates are associated with Greece during Christmas, and I never quite understood why. So I looked it up! Here is some information from my notes - feel free to chime in and add anything Im ay have missed:

In Greece, one of the most prominent traditions is the use of pomegranates. The pomegranate is not only a symbol of Greek culture but is also associated with the story of Persephone, who was allowed to return to her mother, Demeter, after eating six pomegranate seeds.

They are used to decorate homes, tables, and even churches. Greeks believe that the pomegranate symbolizes prosperity, good luck, and fertility. It is also believed to bring good health and protect against evil spirits.

During Christmas Eve, Greeks use pomegranates to decorate the traditional Christopsomo, which is a type of sweet bread that is baked in a round shape. The pomegranate is placed in the center of the bread, which is then sprinkled with sesame seeds and decorated with a cross to signify the birth of Jesus Christ.

Another tradition involving pomegranates is the game of breaking them open. Greeks enjoy playing the game where they throw a pomegranate to the ground, and whoever is the first to break open the fruit will have good luck for the entire year. Greeks believe that the more seeds they find inside, the more luck and prosperity they will have in the new year.

Pomegranates are also used in the Greek Orthodox Church during the blessing of the waters ceremony. This ceremony takes place on January 6th, which is the day of Epiphany, commemorating the baptism of Jesus Christ by John the Baptist in the Jordan River. The priest throws a cross into the waters, and young men dive into the water to retrieve it. After the cross is retrieved, the priest blesses the water with holy oil and a pomegranate. The pomegranate is then thrown into the water to bring prosperity and good luck to the community.

Up until about two or so years ago, I didn't realize they were symbolic for Christmas but I never knew why. Thanks for sharing this! Pomegranates must be in season now because they were easy to find in the stores.

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Appropriate clothing for Holy Week services?

I was going to wear a floral dress to the service on Good Friday - I pretty much always do - and someone made a comment that they didn't think it's appropriate because it is a service of mourning.

You know, I guess that makes sense - but I haven't that much of it. What are your thoughts on it? I ended up choosing an outfit that looked a little more somber.

I am curious about the best things to wear through Holy Week! I am assuming the really spring-like colors are best on Pascha?

Learning about hospitality in Greece

I was trying to explain to some non-Greek friends about hospitality in Greece. I feel like it's next level, but how do you explain it?

Could anyone help me explain any of the following:
  • Traditional welcome gestures in Greece
  • Common household customs when visiting a Greek home
  • Etiquette for showing appreciation to Greek hosts
  • Any specific do's and don'ts that a foreigner should be aware of

How to choose godparents?

I'm currently planning a baptism for a child in the Greek Orthodox Church and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. One of the most significant decisions we're facing is choosing the right godparents. I understand that in our tradition, the role of a godparent is not only a great honor but also carries profound spiritual and moral responsibilities. They are to guide the child in the Orthodox faith, ensuring they grow in the church and its teachings.

How do you choose? I have a few candidates and am trying to narrow it down.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back