1 - 3 of 3 Posts

toniiv

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.

Update on the wings - I got some Greek dressing from the store, added some red pepper flakes to it t make it hotter, and marinated the wings in those. It was so good! Still curious what you guys all do...

All those options sound great. When I want spicy wings I put red pepper flakes in whichever marinade I am using, but I have also learned that it doesn't taste great with ladolemono. If I make a marinade with olive oil and vinegar and some oregano I find that red pepper does taste good with that.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Different kinds of baklava to try?

I've recently found myself on a delicious quest to explore the world of baklava, that rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup. I understand that baklava has roots in many culinary traditions across the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, each bringing its own unique twist to this iconic dessert.

From what I’ve gathered, the variations of baklava are as numerous as they are delicious, differing in nuts, spices, types of syrup, and preparation methods. However, navigating through these variations is quite the challenge, and that’s where I’m seeking your collective wisdom!

I am curious what you guys think!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back