1 - 9 of 9 Posts

knicks_fan87

Fried fish, French fries, and a good beer are all I need in this life :) Cheers to a great summer everyone

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 8.31.15 PM.png

I am sooooo hungry! Greek tavernas are truly amazing...many are family owned and the food is made to order and so fresh!

Enjoy-the-Diverse-Nightlife-of-Athens.jpeg

Fried fish, French fries, and a good beer are all I need in this life :) Cheers to a great summer everyone

View attachment 564
Looking yummmmmmy....I found a big squid on my beach washed ashore with the big waves here where we live.... black ink liquid still being sprayed.... took to my wife and we cooked it like the image.... didn't taste at all like the Greek Kalamari....😂😂..>>>We used to catch a lot of Kalamari in October in Mykonos.....Yammas!... Hope you enjoyed the meal..👍

Reactions: cf_fraiser
How is the squid different?? I thought all squid was the same ahaha :) Yassou!
Looking yummmmmmy....I found a big squid on my beach washed ashore with the big waves here where we live.... black ink liquid still being sprayed.... took to my wife and we cooked it like the image.... didn't taste at all like the Greek Kalamari....😂😂..>>>We used to catch a lot of Kalamari in October in Mykonos.....Yammas!... Hope you enjoyed the meal..👍

Reactions: Hash
How is the squid different?? I thought all squid was the same ahaha :) Yassou!
Kalley Mera Kalllo Mina...... This made me laugh....."There are over 300 different types of Squid in our Oceans!🤗...... There is also a European Squid!!....Too many to post here.... Just Google and you will see...The squid here in these parts is used for grilling and drying and not frying like we did... also the shapes are different....if I remember I will stop a seller on the beach and post an image..[But no body around due to Covid restrictions]>>>>>

Reactions: mastichas09
Kalley Mera Kalllo Mina...... This made me laugh....."There are over 300 different types of Squid in our Oceans!🤗...... There is also a European Squid!!....Too many to post here.... Just Google and you will see...The squid here in these parts is used for grilling and drying and not frying like we did... also the shapes are different....if I remember I will stop a seller on the beach and post an image..[But no body around due to Covid restrictions]>>>>>
I had no idea either ahahaha!! Apparently these are the ones you can eat https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-out-are-there-any-that-it-is-still-ok-to-eat

I had no idea either ahahaha!! Apparently these are the ones you can eat https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-out-are-there-any-that-it-is-still-ok-to-eat
Thanks for the link,I will read it later....A Guardian reader eh!🤗🤗♥️..... Great journalism, have always read it ..... Am originally from good ol'London town...I could call myself a Londoner!! amongst other destinations like my Mana mu Elllada....I am born in Nairobi Kenya, parents from India,fell in love with Elllada in 70s..... story continues .....

Last edited:
Reactions: nadellii
Thanks for the link,I will read it later....A Guardian reader eh!🤗🤗♥️..... Great journalism, have always read it ..... Am originally from good ol'London town...I could all myself a Londoner!! amongst other destinations like my Mana mu Elllada....I am born in Nairobi Kenya, parents from India,fell in love with Elllada in 70s..... story continues .....
Wow you have such an interesting story!! What's great about this forum is that we all love Greece but we are from so many different places and with so many different experiences :)

This food looks so amazing! Thank you for sharing, now I want to go to Greece and eat those things ASAP!

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back