1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

I am thinking of putting the Samaria Gorge on my Greek Bucket List but I feel like I need more information. In my research, I can see that one should start at the top, hike down, and then allow some time to explore the village at the end and get something to eat, maybe even sit at the beach. So, this seems like an all day thing? It seems totally doable and I am in decent shape, but I am nervous and need more information.

Are there any guided tours that will take me through the process?

Reactions: AlexiaTravels
There are tours that leave Chania via bus on the Omolos Road and drop you off at the head of the gorge. I am not sure if any guides accompany you through the gorge; that might depend on the tour you choose. The hike of approximately 16 km takes an average of 4 -7 hours, depending on your fitness and the number of stops you make. When you reach the end, the village of Agia Roumeli, you’ll definitely want to have a swim and something to eat at the seaside tavernas. The tour includes a ferry ride from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia; where the bus meets you for the ride back to Chania. This is definitely a full day excursion, but well worth it.

If you want to do a shorter hike, you can take a bus or your rental car to Sfakia, Sougia, or Paleochora and take the early morning ferry to Agia Roumeli. Some people hike the gorge from the sea to the Iron Gates; a much shorter distance….but remember that you’d have to double-back to catch your return ferry from Agia Roumeli.

If you do either day trip by yourself, just be sure to research the bus/ferry schedules ahead of time so that you don’t get caught over-night in Agia Roumeli (though I can think of worse problems - it would be beautiful!)

So my friends did this hike, not I. Don’t think they would do it again. It was not easy hiking, a lot of loose rocks to walk on. They were required to wear hard hats due to possible falling rocks. They were pretty exhausted and sore after the day. Good luck.

This is some very good information. Dionasia, I heard the same thing from some other hikers. Deborah, thanks so much for your thoughtful response! After reading this feedback I am considering hiking through the gorge from Aqia Roumeli and then doubling back after I've had my fill. I had someone tell me to make sure I sit at that beach before I leave and buy some honey! Seems like this plan is more relaxing and gives me the most out of the experience.

I think that you’ve made a good choice. A swim on Crete’s southern coast is always very special. When my daughter was very young, we went to the Iron Gates only from Agia Roumeli. Hiking in Crete always involves navigating some loose stones and yes, goats above you can cause some falling rock - but you’re more likely to encounter some very friendly goats (especially if you’re carrying snacks) on the shorter path to the Gates! If you have a rental car, you can always take separate road trips to the village of Anopolis (above Sfakia - a fantastic drive!) or to Omolos, to get a better sense of the majesty of the White Mountains.

I have friends who did this hike, as well. I wanted to do it! However, after reading this thread, I think I might consider heading to that village and poking around. I heard the water at that beach is very warm and the black sand is really cool. The portion of the hike that leads to the gorge when done from the other direction I heard is difficult and not very scenic. Sounds like we are better off hiking through the gorge itself for as long as we feel like it and hen enjoy the village!

I can't wait to do this plan! Thanks, all, for chiming in. I'll have a rental car so I can explore around before or after my time at the gorge.

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Lagoons of Crete?

I'm planning a trip to Crete and I'm absolutely captivated by the idea of visiting its stunning lagoons. From what I've gathered, these natural wonders are not only a feast for the eyes but also offer unique experiences in terms of swimming, snorkeling, and just soaking in the breathtaking views.

I've heard about the famous Elafonissi and Balos lagoons, but I'm curious if there are other lesser-known lagoons on the island that are worth exploring. Additionally, I'm interested in any tips or advice on the best times to visit, how to get there, what to expect, or any other suggestions that could help make my visit as enjoyable as possible.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on where to stay nearby these lagoons or any local eateries to try out, that would be fantastic! I'm eager to experience Crete not just as a tourist, but through the eyes of those who know it best.

Finding a Private Tour Guide on Crete?

I'm reaching out to this community because I'm planning trip to Crete and I'm on the lookout for a personal tour guide. I believe that exploring a new place is infinitely more enriching when you have the insights and stories that only a local can provide.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tour guide in Crete? I'm looking for someone knowledgeable, engaging, and passionate about their homeland. It's important to me that the guide is not only familiar with the popular tourist spots but also those hidden gems that are off the beaten path.

If you've visited Crete and had a fantastic experience with a tour guide, I'd love to hear your stories. Additionally, if you're a local or know of any contacts in the area that could point me in the right direction, please feel free to share.

I've seen stuff online about how much fun people have on private tours, and I believe this to be the best option for my family.

Favorite Museums on the Island of Crete

I love Crete - the history in particular fascinates me. I thought I'd share my favorite museums to visit. I am not usually a museum person, but these are interesting to me.

Heraklion Archaeological Museum

If you want to delve deep into Crete's ancient history, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum should be your first stop. This museum houses one of the most impressive collections of Minoan artifacts in the world, including pottery, jewelry, frescoes, and statues. I love learning about the Minoans!

Nikos Kazantzakis Museum

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Cretan writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis. The museum is located in the village of Myrtia, where Kazantzakis was born and raised. This one is a quick one to go through, but is super interesting.

Historical Museum of Crete

The Historical Museum of Crete in Heraklion offers a comprehensive view of the island's history and culture from the early Christian era to the present day. The museum has exhibits on ancient and medieval Crete, the Cretan Renaissance, and the island's role in the Greek Revolution. The history of this island is pretty rich!

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back