1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A few (even Thessalonians...) are familiar with one of the most historic parishes of the city, the church of St Athanasius the Great (87 Egnatias str.). Guided tours are offered every Wednesday at 10:30 and 11:00 am (FOR FREE)! You can see details in the announcements hung outside the church. It's a unique opportunity to learn about Orthodox art and spirituality, as well as the history of the city, while listening to heavenly Byzantine music recordings. Although the facade may not look so attractive, the interior is stunning! You visit not only the nave, but also the north chapel, as well as the gallery. Looking for a different experience in an historic and not over-crowded landmark? That's your place!

Attachments

• media-share-0-02-05-8a2a309226d79623840c11014548e871e2592e01e8138058ba24fe13bf71121d-e0c257c0-...jpg
    media-share-0-02-05-8a2a309226d79623840c11014548e871e2592e01e8138058ba24fe13bf71121d-e0c257c0-...jpg
    217 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Beth Baiter
This is lovely! Hopefully plenty of people will see this so they can do the tour when in the city.

A few (even Thessalonians...) are familiar with one of the most historic parishes of the city, the church of St Athanasius the Great (87 Egnatias str.). Guided tours are offered every Wednesday at 10:30 and 11:00 am (FOR FREE)! You can see details in the announcements hung outside the church. It's a unique opportunity to learn about Orthodox art and spirituality, as well as the history of the city, while listening to heavenly Byzantine music recordings. Although the facade may not look so attractive, the interior is stunning! You visit not only the nave, but also the north chapel, as well as the gallery. Looking for a different experience in an historic and not over-crowded landmark? That's your place!
Do you know if they do this all year long? This is a great tip!

Self Guided Tour of Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know of any resources that will help me give myself a "self guided" tour of Thessaloniki?

I know I can look up all the main places online as I am there. However, I am more interested in finding a narration ahead of time and listening to it while I drive around and see some of the sites. Does such a thing exist?

I am in Thessaloniki for a short time with a group of people who don't like to do "tours" so I have some time to go off by myself for a few hours one of the days.

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.

Will only have a few hours in Thessaloniki...

I am going to Thessaloniki in the late summer (I forget the dates). It's a stop on a Greek cruise. I have been to Greece a lot before but have never done a cruse. I have also never been to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions as to what I can do with my time while I am here? I will be doing a tour of another stop the day prior, so for Thessaloniki I am thinking I just want to explore.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back