1 - 2 of 2 Posts
The holiday season is coming up and I know I will be eating decadently while out and about - but not every day. So, I am brainstorming ways I can eat healthy in between gatherings.

Greek Salad

Greek Salad is one of the healthiest typical Greek dishes you'll find. It's loaded with fresh veggies, including cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, all chlorophyll-rich veggies. The addition of olive oil, olives, and feta cheese also makes the dish a healthy Mediterranean source of fat. Think of it as an antioxidant powerhouse.

Grilled Seafood

Greek cuisine is known for its grilled seafood, which is an excellent source of lean protein. When grilling seafood, the fats convert into healthy omega-3 fatty acids. When you combine it with veggies, like tomatoes and zucchini, seasoned with herbs and sprinkled with feta cheese, the flavor profile is heightened to delightful new heights.

Dolmades

Dolmades has herbs and rice with ground beef, and then wrapped in steamed grape leaves, making it one of the most delicious and healthy Greek dishes available. Grape leaves contain glucosinolates, which are anti-carcinogenic.

Spanakopita

This Spinach and Feta Pie is a pastry that is filled with spinach, feta cheese, and eggs, all inside a light and crispy filo pastry. Spinach is rich in folate, a nutrient that helps in healthy brain development, and feta cheese, providing you with calcium and protein.

Souvlaki

Grilled skewers of marinated meat and vegetables, Souvlaki, come in many different types, which include chicken, lamb, pork, and vegetables. Whether you are a vegetarian or non-vegetarian, this dish is filled with protein and cooked veggies, a perfect combination for a healthy meal.

Greek-Salad.jpg

I agree about Greek salad. If you make spanakopita I would dial back on butter and maybe even make the spanakopita with olive oil.

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?

Adding Hot Pepper to Tiropita?

I'm planning to make Greek tiropita (cheese pie) for a family gathering, and I was thinking of adding a twist by incorporating jalapeño peppers. Has anyone tried this before? I'm curious about how well the spiciness of the jalapeños would complement the creamy cheese filling and the flaky phyllo dough. Would the flavors blend well, or would it be too overpowering? Also, should I use fresh jalapeños, or would pickled ones be better for this recipe?

If you have any tips on how to incorporate them effectively, such as how to prepare the jalapeños or how much to use, I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm aiming for a balance where the heat adds an interesting kick without overwhelming the traditional taste of the tiropita.

List of traditional Greek dishes to try making at home?

I'm curious to hear your recommendations on the top traditional Greek dishes that one can try making at home. While traveling to Greece to experience the authentic flavors firsthand would be ideal, it's not always possible. So, what's the next best thing? Recreating those delicious dishes in our own kitchens!

I've always been fascinated by Greek cuisine, known for its rich flavors and healthy ingredients. But with so many iconic dishes out there, it's hard to decide where to start. I'd love to get some insights from those of you who have either visited Greece or have experience cooking Greek food at home.

Here are a few dishes I've heard are must-tries:
  1. Moussaka
  2. Souvlaki
  3. Spanakopita
  4. Dolmades
  5. Baklava
What would you add? Thanks so much!

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Greek Watermelon Salad Recipe for Summer

I wanted to share a simple watermelon salad recipe that's perfect for summer! I've had this in Greece! I use mint that my family brought over from Greece a few generations ago!

Ingredients:

• 4 cups of watermelon, cubed
  • 1 cup of cucumber, sliced
  • 1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup of red onion, thinly sliced
  • A handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon cubes, cucumber slices, red onion, and chopped mint.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  3. Add the crumbled feta cheese on top.
  4. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. I don't like to use dressing, preferring its natural juices to season it.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back