1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dimi_pat

I am thinking to book a trip to Santorini this summer and taking the ferry from Athens. I am just wondering...how do I get to my hotel from the ferry? What are my transportation options? I don't think my hotel has transfer options like a shuttle because its very small. Does anyone have experience with this? I have heard there are not a lot of taxis on the island.

I am thinking to book a trip to Santorini this summer and taking the ferry from Athens. I am just wondering...how do I get to my hotel from the ferry? What are my transportation options? I don't think my hotel has transfer options like a shuttle because its very small. Does anyone have experience with this? I have heard there are not a lot of taxis on the island.
I just took a taxi. Also, even though the hotel might not have transport, you can ask them - they are usually very helpful and forthcoming with information.

Taxis in my opinion are the easiest way to get around in Santorini. There aren't a lot, that is correct, but it's because the island doesn't have the infrastructure to handle more taxis. Vehicles in general are limited. To get back to the port/airport when leaving Santorini, I would recommend booking a taxi in advance, but to get from the port to your hotel, there will be plenty waiting in the taxi stand.

Taxis are rare to find in santorini (only 37) and especially after the new cooperation they have with the cruiseships . You can try a private taxi service which is reasonable priced
Which part of the island are you going to?
if you decide to take the bus you can you have to go to Fira and then everywhere else on the island.
You can check the Santorini bus schedule here
I actually live in Santorini so if you need any info let me know

Last edited:
Depending on the location of your hotel, there are a few options for getting there from the ferry port.
One option is to take a bus, which runs regularly between the ferry port and the main towns on the island. Another option is to take a taxi, although it's true that there aren't a lot of taxis on Santorini. You could also rent a car or scooter.
If your hotel is not far from the port, you could also consider walking, especially if you have light luggage.
Small hotels or guesthouses often don't have transfer options like a shuttle, so you might have to organize your own transportation. Also, you can check out https://happylife.es for some tips to move around and enjoy your stay in Santorini

Last edited:

Staying in Pyrgos?

Thank you to your advice, I am looking into staying in Pyrgos or other inland place that is slightly "off the beaten track" in Santorini to minimize some of the frustration of being in the crowds. We will be traveling during peak season.

Does anyone have an advice as to where to stay? As mentioned in a previous post, my wife is pushing for a Caldera hotel - but they're so expensive and we're traveling with the whole family. If I can find a compelling hotel that is more inland, it might work out for us to stay there. It doesn't have to be Pyrgos - but something similar would be good...

pyrgos-santorini.jpg

Off the beaten track suggestions for Santorini?

I've been completely mesmerized by the postcard photos of Santorini, but beyond the blue domes and the sunsets of Oia, I'm looking to uncover some of the island's best-kept secrets. What do you suggest?

Have you stumbled upon any villages, beaches, or local haunts here that you loved? Or maybe historical sites too? I am just looking to do something different that what is typical.

Views like this wouldn't hurt!

santorini-greece.jpg

View the natural and unique geography of Santorini

I love visiting Santorini because to me, it's physically beautiful. I find it enchanting because of how unique the landscape is.

About 3,600 years ago, the island experienced a colossal volcanic event, known as the Minoan eruption. This event was so massive that it significantly altered the landscape, creating the caldera—a giant central lagoon surrounded by high cliffs on three sides. The eruption also played a pivotal role in shaping the ancient civilizations of the area.

Santorini's geological wonders don't stop at the caldera. The island boasts unique beaches with varying colors of sand and pebbles—red, black, and white—thanks to its volcanic nature. Visiting these beaches is like stepping onto another planet.

So, I plan to go again this year and check it out. Some of the places I love are Red Beach, Oia (I plan to stay in Oia), and I love doing that hike from Fira to Oia during sunset.What do you love to do in Santorini?

santorini-greece.jpg

Volcanic Hot Springs in Santorini?

Does anyone know if it is possible to go in the water in the area with the volcano? I heard of some people going in the water on tour excursions but I question if that is a regular occurrence. Also, are those considered the volcanic hot springs or are the real hot springs in another area?

I plan on doing something like his when I am in Santorini, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Can you spend a week in Santorini?

I will be going to Greece next year and someone I am traveling with is obsessed with photos of Santorini and wants to go.

From what I can gather, most people say just to spend a few days and then move on, but this person is pushing for a longer stay.

Is there enough to do on Santorini so that spending a week or more makes sense? She wants to enjoy the sunsets, the food (I heard the food is better in other parts of Greece), and beaches (I also heard that there aren't as many beaches).

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks lovely, I just feel deep down that a week might be too long.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back