1 - 12 of 12 Posts

mastichas09

How much cash would you recommend to have on hand per person for a one week vacation. I have a credit card but this is something I always struggle with while traveling.... I never know how much cash to bring!! What have been your experiences?

Good question!

I think this tends to be a personal decision. I prefer to bring and use cash for most things. The only places I use credit cards is car rental, gas and supermarkets. Other than that I feel more comfortable using cash while in Greece. To answer you question, how much, it really depends how long you are going, do you have a family or single and if you are staying with family, airbnb or hotel and are you going to be cooking each meal or eating out.

There are many places to exchange your local currency to euros and ATMs at major banks as well.

Hope this helps!
Nick

Converting your physical currency to the foreign country's currency is the most expensive way to obtain currency in any country. You will be charged a conversion fee on top of an FX rate. You will have lower FX conversion fees if you use your card over there or withdrawal from ATM. Generally, the cheapest -> most expensive way to obtain money in any county is Credit Card > ATM > exchanging your local currency for the local currency in the country you're visiting.

Many places in Greece will not accept Amex cards, so if you have one then you may want to consider getting something else before going.

I use very little cash when I travel . I have a mastercard that don't charge any transection fees and the exchange spread is very little, like 0.3% . I use that everywhere I travel. Check in your country for a card that doesn't have transection fees and with the smallest spread. Can be mastercard or Visa, not Amex.
Cash is the most expensive method these days .

Converting your physical currency to the foreign country's currency is the most expensive way to obtain currency in any country. You will be charged a conversion fee on top of an FX rate. You will have lower FX conversion fees if you use your card over there or withdrawal from ATM. Generally, the cheapest -> most expensive way to obtain money in any county is Credit Card > ATM > exchanging your local currency for the local currency in the country you're visiting.

Many places in Greece will not accept Amex cards, so if you have one then you may want to consider getting something else before going.
I agree, take as little cash as possible

Reactions: ellinasgolfer0320
How much cash would you recommend to have on hand per person for a one week vacation. I have a credit card but this is something I always struggle with while traveling.... I never know how much cash to bring!! What have been your experiences?
Well the first time we went I took about 3000E's what a mistake!! How do you protect that kind of money? The second trip we took about 500E's and used it for tips and cab fare. The rest we used credit cards that do not have any transaction fees. Or used ATM's for cash, which can be expensive. but in the long run I much preferred the 500E and credit cards. When we were in Ireland we did the same 500E approach and it was fine.

Reactions: acamp7 and Hash
Well the first time we went I took about 3000E's what a mistake!! How do you protect that kind of money? The second trip we took about 500E's and used it for tips and cab fare. The rest we used credit cards that do not have any transaction fees. Or used ATM's for cash, which can be expensive. but in the long run I much preferred the 500E and credit cards. When we were in Ireland we did the same 500E approach and it was fine.
Ahaha 3,000's is dangerous!! I'd be so scared of it getting stolen. 500 euros sounds very reasonable.

In my opinion, it is good to travel with at least a small amount of euros to get you through the airport, a quick coffee, and the transfer to your destination. If you don’t already have some euros, AAA always has $200 packs available. Of course these come with their fee and not a great exchange rate, but it’ll get you started.

Once there, you can readily access euro cash from a bank-affiliated (NOT private, tourist) ATM, using your no-fee card. All banks in Greece now charge a small fee, but generally the National Bank of Greece has the best rate. I usually carry a debit card, because my credit card goes through ATMs as a cash advance, with heftier fees and a ceiling limit.

Over the years it is true that more places in Greece are accepting credit cards, but whenever possible I still personally prefer to use cash, except for major purchases like hotel, car rental etc. However if you do use your card, ask for it to be rung up in euros - not dollars, if given the choice.

This year is going to be a little different as Greece re-opens to tourism. Again this is strictly my personal decision, but I am going to be bringing more cash with me in order to be prepared for any unforeseen problem. This is a terribly long reply, but I hope it helps.

In my opinion, it is good to travel with at least a small amount of euros to get you through the airport, a quick coffee, and the transfer to your destination. If you don’t already have some euros, AAA always has $200 packs available. Of course these come with their fee and not a great exchange rate, but it’ll get you started.

Once there, you can readily access euro cash from a bank-affiliated (NOT private, tourist) ATM, using your no-fee card. All banks in Greece now charge a small fee, but generally the National Bank of Greece has the best rate. I usually carry a debit card, because my credit card goes through ATMs as a cash advance, with heftier fees and a ceiling limit.

Over the years it is true that more places in Greece are accepting credit cards, but whenever possible I still personally prefer to use cash, except for major purchases like hotel, car rental etc. However if you do use your card, ask for it to be rung up in euros - not dollars, if given the choice.

This year is going to be a little different as Greece re-opens to tourism. Again this is strictly my personal decision, but I am going to be bringing more cash with me in order to be prepared for any unforeseen problem. This is a terribly long reply, but I hope it helps.
I always use national bank of Greece (ethniki trapeza) https://www.nbg.gr/en

Reactions: Hash
It really depends on where you are going. If it is the touristic places, you can often pay by card, but when you go of the beaten track, bring money. We usely bring around 500 euro ( small coupures! 50 max.) to start and then use an ATM to get more when needed. If you are low on money and you see an ATM, use it. It isn't like there is one on every corner (especially the smaller islands).

Reactions: tomipark
It really depends on where you are going. If it is the touristic places, you can often pay by card, but when you go of the beaten track, bring money. We usely bring around 500 euro ( small coupures! 50 max.) to start and then use an ATM to get more when needed. If you are low on money and you see an ATM, use it. It isn't like there is one on every corner (especially the smaller islands).
So true...there are very few ATM's in smaller villages and islands. Always better to be safe than sorry

I don't like to carry a lot of cash on me. I start the trip with 200 Euros. I don't bring too much at once because the conversion rates in the US stink - I get the Euros from my bank. I end up making out better using the ATMs in Greece. I have never had a problem getting money from ATMs in Greece, and I even went to Greece during one of the financial crisis situations.

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back