1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

This is difficult to make, but my advice is to focus on the flavour and not so much on the technique, you will get the technique of making super thin layers later on. This is my favorite recipe, super simple and laid out

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing! Phyllo dough is tough to make especially if the first time working with it! 🇬🇷🇬🇷

Here is a phyllo dough recipe and recommendations that might help:

Greek organic farm wins two gold awards at the 'Great Taste Awards 2021' in London

Are there any Greek fall time desserts?

I know that fall is an obsession the US with pumpkin spice and everything but I want to celebrate the Greek way! Are there any Greek fall recipes, many some things like apple pie?

What is your favorite Greek American dish?

I sometimes like when cultures clash....but it can also be a disaster ahahaha! What is your favorite twist on Greek classics? I must say I love lamb gyros from a good Greek diner, from what my Greek friends have told me, they don't eat lamb gyros in Greece

How to make Chios bulgur with tomatoes and feta (Hondros)

This recipe is so tasty!! The bulgur that is native to the island of Chios is a bit different than what we expect. Usually, bulgur is steamed whole. The version found in Chios is coarsely ground. When preparing this dish, use bulgur from Chios if you can find it. If not, just use whatever bulgur you can find.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil, plus more to garnish
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup coarse bulgur
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups water, chicken stock, or vegetable stock
  • 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (use the juices, as well)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2/3 cup crumbled feta, optional
  • 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley

Add oil to a large saucepan and heat over medium heat for one minute. Add the onion and saute until it starts to soften, which should take three or four minutes. Add the bulgur and red pepper flakes to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until the bulgur is coated in the oil. Pour the water or stick into the pan along with the tomatoes and sugar. Stir with the spoon until well combined. Bring the mixture to a boil while covered and then reduce the heat to a simmer after it boils. Simmer the mixture for ten minutes or until the bulgur looks moist and the mixture thickens. The bulgur should also be soft. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, covered, for about three minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in the feta cheese. Top with fresh, chopped parsley just before serving.

Hondros-720x482.jpg

How to make sweet saganaki

This is one of my favorite appetizers to make. All you need to do is add butter to a skillet and heat over medium heat. After the butter is melted, place the halloumi/kefalograviera cheese cubes in the skillet in a single layer and sauté until the bottoms turn brown. This should take about 1 minute. Turn each of the cubes over on all sides and sauté each until they also turn brown. This should take an additional 3 minutes.

Remove the cheese cubes from the skillet using a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towels for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter