1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Tpebop

Have lived on Rhodes for 12 years

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
If i'm only going to Rhodes for two days, what are some things that I cannot miss?

What is the best area to stay in Rhodes? Thanks!! :)

What is the best area to stay in Rhodes? Thanks!! :)
Rhodes Old Town.From there you have access to the buses that go to other parts of the island

Rhodes Old Town.From there you have access to the buses that go to other parts of the island
How much does the bus cost? And do they usually come on time? Thanks so muhc

Reactions: dubai_suzie
Bus from Old town to Lindos is 5.50 euros one way. Takes about 1.5 hours going through several villages on the way.Buses do mostly come on time.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
Bus from Old town to Lindos is 5.50 euros one way. Takes about 1.5 hours going through several villages on the way.Buses do mostly come on time.
Is it cheaper to take a taxi? I know taxis in Athens are pretty cheap, and if you are traveling in a group it's cheaper to take a taxi rather than a bus. Is Rhodes the same way?

A taxi will only hold 4 passengers & costs 62 euros one way.So bus is much cheaper @ 5.50 euros per person

Reactions: blopez34
Is it expensive for a British citizen to buy a property in Rhodes Town. !!

Reactions: francescool
Is it expensive for a British citizen to buy a property in Rhodes Town. !!
I don't know if this applies to Greece but I know properties around the world are becoming very cheap because of covid

Yes it is expensive.Taking into account not only the cost of the property. There is the annual property tax to pay.you MUST employ a Greek lawyer & accountant to help you buy. They are not cheap .So renting is the way to go.In the 12 years so far I have lived on Rhodes ,I am now in 6th property.My current rent is 300 euros a month for a 1 bedroom appartment with 2 large L shaped patios & very large garden.

Reactions: paharo45
Yes it is expensive.Taking into account not only the cost of the property. There is the annual property tax to pay.you MUST employ a Greek lawyer & accountant to help you buy. They are not cheap .So renting is the way to go.In the 12 years so far I have lived on Rhodes ,I am now in 6th property.My current rent is 300 euros a month for a 1 bedroom appartment with 2 large L shaped patios & very large garden.
Hi thanks for the reply do you actually rent a property in Rhodes Town.Is there any website that I can use to look for property to rent in Rhodes.

I rent a apartment in Afandou village.I do not recommend using any web site.You MUST look at a property & not rely on an agency. YOU MUST check the location in great detail before renting. Just go to the area you want to rent & just ask around in tavernas & bars.That is what I have always done with great success.

I rent a apartment in Afandou village.I do not recommend using any web site.You MUST look at a property & not rely on an agency. YOU MUST check the location in great detail before renting. Just go to the area you want to rent & just ask around in tavernas & bars.That is what I have always done with great success.
Once again thanks for your reply I am hoping to come back to Rhodes soon and I will look around for an apartment then thanks for the information.

Do you rent the same place every year? Or get a different place? I'm assuming if you visit the same area often it's much easier to find a reputable place because you have connections and get to know where is nicer in the area. This is what I struggle with, I don't go to Greece often so it's hard to scope out trustworthy apartments. My mother stays with me and shes older so it's easier to get an apartment rather than a hotel because we need a kitchen

yes, when I rent it is for long term.Have been in my present place 4 years.

Reactions: Bazzanjack1

Holiday season coming to a close in Greece & the islands

Soon tavernas/bars & shops will be closing until 2024.By mid november it will be very quiet.

Valley of Butterflies in Rhodes?

I learned about this cool place on Rhdoes I want to see.

Valley of Butterflies is a sanctuary on Rhodes for severe; species of butterflies and is worth a visit. This natural haven is nestled in the middle of a winding stream and surrounded by rocky hills, flowers, and trees. The valley is home to abundant flora and fauna, including 150 different types of butterflies and moths such as the Jersey Tiger Moth, the Spotted Fritillary Butterfly, and the Painted Lady Butterfly.

The best time to visit this natural paradise is from late June to early September. During this period, the butterflies start their 5-day mating cycle, creating beautiful yellow-colored walls along the Rhodos stream. Visiting this place during this period gives you the chance to revel in the delightful colors and aroma of butterflies fluttering around your head.

I found this great video about it:

I don't know I fi will have a chance to go next year, but it really does look neat!

Which area to stay on Rhodes?

I am trying to plan my next trip to Greece and I think I will go to Rhodes this time. I went once, and it was only for a few days. Stayed near Lindos. I want to stay longer, and there are different areas - I can't figure out where to stay this time!

Should I stay near Lindos again? Are there other areas worth seeing? It was over ten years ago that I went.

Euronet are continuing to install their ATMs

This American company have installed thousands of ATMs in Greece.I saw a new one today 22 February has been installed @ Afandou opposite a taverna & near a bus stop.
Their rate of exchange is pits & their withdrawl fee is high.So best avoided.

Religious sites to visit on Rhodes

Today, I’m excited to share four religious sites that you might want to visit as you journey along a certain road. Each of these destinations offers a unique insight into the spiritual legacy and historical context of the regions you'll find yourself immersed in. However, remember I haven't visited this myself. I am thinking of visiting them. So I will make updates as I find more information. For example, I just added more information about the names of the places so they're easier to find.

1. The Temple at the Crossroads

This serene temple, ancient as the surrounding groves, is named for the cross-section of paths where legend says the gods intersect. The atmosphere is calm, and it's said that prayers offered here meet deities from all four cardinal directions. Locals believe that if you meditate within the temple's main hall, you can sense the divine converging around you.

I think this place is also called Temple of Apollo Pythias but I could be wrong.

2. The Monastery Through the Mist

Nestled high in the mountains, this monastery is famous for the shroud of mist that enwraps it, making it feel like an ethereal resting place. History marks it as the site where the first saint of the region achieved enlightenment. Pilgrims hike hours up treacherous paths to be blessed where the clouds meet the heavens.

I think this place is also called Filerimos Monastery - should be easier to find under this name.

3. The Shrine within a Cave

A cave lodges in a cliffside on the third leg of our journey, housing a shrine illuminated only by the gentle glow of candles. An annual festival invites thousands, as they carry torches along narrow ledges to pay homage to the hermit who first discovered this sanctuary. The echo of religious chants is said to make the rocks themselves vibrate.

I think this is also called Cave of Archangel Michael.

4. The Ancient Blessing Well

A clearing in the dense woods reveals a well, adorned with flowers, that many claim has healing properties. Here, people of all faiths come to draw water and leave tokens of gratitude for the water spirit. This practice was believed to have been started by a traveling monk hundreds of years ago, imparting legends of miraculous recoveries to those who drank from it.

Is this place in the Fortification of Rhodes?

Note: I edited this to fix the error about the amount. I had 5 but decided I didn't want to talk about the fifth. I also put some more information about locations.
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back