1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Hash

Now here's an interesting discussion to be had..... This is from Thailand.... What are the views about our Greek community?

nm1999

Now here's an interesting discussion to be had..... This is from Thailand.... What are the views about our Greek community?
Im assuming that what is considered "beautiful" has changed a lot over time, because it changes from country to country. So it is pretty hard to tell..what do you think?

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Im assuming that what is considered "beautiful" has changed a lot over time, because it changes from country to country. So it is pretty hard to tell..what do you think?
Very much so! Beauty is in Eye of the beholder, here with Cleopatra we can see that the image creaters have made here very attractive and seductive for the movies,we all know in real life she was very different,as she had a reputation of being ruthless,I am not well informed about History or Mythology but the treatment which Julius Caesar got from her tells a few tales.Coming back to beauty and beautiful people I have seen so many in Mykonos having lived many years,and as you rightfully say it varies with each country.We were just discussing this yesterday that we have some younger generation singers who are so very stunning and creative in dancing etc,who might not appeal to folks living in the West!

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

Very much so! Beauty is in Eye of the beholder, here with Cleopatra we can see that the image creaters have made here very attractive and seductive for the movies,we all know in real life she was very different,as she had a reputation of being ruthless,I am not well informed about History or Mythology but the treatment which Julius Caesar got from her tells a few tales.Coming back to beauty and beautiful people I have seen so many in Mykonos having lived many years,and as you rightfully say it varies with each country.We were just discussing this yesterday that we have some younger generation singers who are so very stunning and creative in dancing etc,who might not appeal to folks living in the West!
I always imagined her being timelessly beautiful, not in a sexy way but in a regal and royal type of way

Reactions: Hash

Hash

I always imagined her being timelessly beautiful, not in a sexy way but in a regal and royal type of way
Her powers and authority were her beauty,I think and her charm!and charisma...❤️

The history of the gyro

The history of the gyro has actually been debated for years. Food historians believe that the gyro actually arrived in Greece in the early 1920’s as refugees from Asia Minor, mainly from Constantinople (now Istanbul) and Smyrna (now Izmir). Many of these people had Greek ancestry, and they brought the tradition of the gyro with them. Some legends indicate, however, that the first gyro handlers in Athens were actually of Armenian decent.

It was fairly common for these refugees to open small shops, mainly in Athens, and that helped increase the food’s popularity. As the people of Athens caught on, the dish started spreading to other areas of Greece. Eventually, Greeks who began leaving Greece for other countries, such s the United States, brought the food with them and the tradition continued in countries such as the United States and Canada.

gyro.jpg

Who was Ioannis Metaxas?

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles is my favorite Ancient Greek play

This classic tragedy is still read and performed today. In the play, a father leaves his own son, Oedipus, to die in a field. Rather than die, he is taken in by another family and raised. While with this family, Oedipus is told by an Oracle that he will murder his father and sleep with his mother. Despite his best efforts to prevent this from happening, he does both of these things.

The history of building with stone in Greece

As you may have noticed, many houses in Greece are built with stone (as you'll see in the picture below). Historically, houses in Greece were built with stone because it was readily available and very sturdy. Stone also keeps the houses cool, which is a big problem because it can get very hot and dry in Greece

stone-house-greece1-720x540.jpg

Did you know that the anchor was invented in Ancient Greece?

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter