1 - 3 of 3 Posts

dimi_pat

I have been thinking abut the seasons and I bumped into Persephone. I find her story fascinating. Is she considered the goddess of springtime? I know that when she is with Hades that is when winter is, when she comes out from Hades to be with her mother, that is when the spring is. I had assumed it was Demeter's grief/joy that dictated the seasons, so I was a little surprised to read that Persephone was the goddess of spring, but perhaps that is true from the perspective that she represents spring?

With the change of seasons, I wonder which of the gods or goddesses represented this time of year. Do you guys know of any others that represent spring?

I have been thinking abut the seasons and I bumped into Persephone. I find her story fascinating. Is she considered the goddess of springtime? I know that when she is with Hades that is when winter is, when she comes out from Hades to be with her mother, that is when the spring is. I had assumed it was Demeter's grief/joy that dictated the seasons, so I was a little surprised to read that Persephone was the goddess of spring, but perhaps that is true from the perspective that she represents spring?

With the change of seasons, I wonder which of the gods or goddesses represented this time of year. Do you guys know of any others that represent spring?
My outlook in brief: Demeter is the grain-vegetation goddess. In the vegetable kingdom, reproduction is asexual -- by seeds/grains or spores. Demeter's young one [korE/kora/Cora] was abducted by Hades. Hence her grief etc. ... Zeus compromise: she is to share parts of the year with him and with her [springtime, flowering time]. In Hades, she is queen, and for unknown reasons, some Greeks identified her with an ancient and wild goddess, Persephone [Proserpina in Latin].

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
My outlook in brief: Demeter is the grain-vegetation goddess. In the vegetable kingdom, reproduction is asexual -- by seeds/grains or spores. Demeter's young one [korE/kora/Cora] was abducted by Hades. Hence her grief etc. ... Zeus compromise: she is to share parts of the year with him and with her [springtime, flowering time]. In Hades, she is queen, and for unknown reasons, some Greeks identified her with an ancient and wild goddess, Persephone [Proserpina in Latin].
I didn't realize this! It's a fascinating story... seems like, in general, there is more to the story with some of these ancient myths than what we may realize. I didn't realize there was a time that Persephone and Demeter's child were two different beings.

Learning About Dionysius

I have recently been studying about Dionysius. I feel like I hav been forgetting about him! Beyond the basics that he is the Greek god of wine, festivity, and ecstatic celebration, I’m eager to peel back the layers and understand his role and significance across different cultures and historical epochs.

What piqued my interest initially was how Dionysius seems to embody a dual nature – both bringing joy and chaos. This duality, along with his followers, rituals, and the influence on arts and culture, presents a fascinating study. I am particularly interested in the Dionysian festivals!

Curious to hear people's thoughts...

Important Places of Greek Mythology?

I was just thinking about the Greek mythos and legends and how in some of them, location appears to be important.

For example, Mount Olympus is a real mountain in Greece. The Archeron River, one of the five rivers of Hades, really exists. The story of the Minotaur has a backdrop of the Knossos Palace (I think). There was the Oracle of Delphi in the stories, and Delphi really exists.

Can you think of anything else? I find this stuff interesting.

Mythological Roots of the Olympic Games

I've recently found myself deeply fascinated with how ancient myths and legends have influenced modern traditions and events, particularly those with a global following. Among these, the Olympic Games stand out as a prime example of ancient traditions influencing contemporary world culture. I'm eager to learn more about the mythological roots of the Olympic Games and thought this would be the perfect community to turn to for insights.

From what I understand, the origins of the Olympics are deeply intertwined with Greek mythology. The games were held in Olympia, a sanctuary site for Greek gods, and featured various competitions and rituals dedicated to Zeus, the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion. However, my knowledge of how these mythological aspects directly influenced the establishment and evolution of the Olympic Games feels quite superficial.

Hestia Greek Goddess Information

We don't talk about Hestia much... but I just remembered that my yiayia did! I wondered why, so I researched her. Here is what I found... I think it has something to do with the fact that she was a housewife and she loved her family.. Looking at what she represents, it kind of makes sense. Here's what I found about her:

The Greek goddess Hestia was revered as the goddess of the hearth and home. In ancient Greek mythology, she was known to be a benevolent deity, who brought warmth and comfort to the home. Through her presence, she blessed the family and provided them with a sense of safety and security.

Hestia was the first-born child of Cronus and Rhea, and she was the sister of other Olympian gods such as Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Unlike her brothers and sisters, she did not engage in any power struggles or battles. She preferred to remain neutral and instead focused her attention on her household duties. Hestia was considered one of the most important deities, as the hearth represented the heart of the home. People would light a fire in her honor and worship her by placing offerings of food and drink on their hearth.

In ancient Greek culture, a hearth was often considered the most important part of the home. It was where food was cooked, and family members gathered to eat, share stories, and bond. Hestia's role in domestic life was crucial, and she was responsible for creating the warmth and sense of security felt within the home. Her presence was believed to bring good luck and happiness to the family.

Janus - God of Beginnings

I learned recently of Janus, the Roman God of Beginnings. The month January, I believe, is named after this God.

Many of the Roman Gods and Goddesses have Greek counterparts. Does Janus?

If so, I think that would be an interesting god to learn about. I have to be honest - I am not sure there is a counterpart. I have been searching but there either isn't enough information online, or there really is no equivalent.

Do you guys have any idea?
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back