1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

In the Greek airport, I’ve seen many different types of packaged baklava that I assume people bring home as souvenirs and gifts. Is there any brand or store that people have tried that is good and not too sweet? I would love to get some and see if I can also order them online if they ship internationally.

Yes, klostari (κλωστάρι) baklava from Ioannina is probably my favorite baklava. As for finding one thats not too sweet, that'll be hard because it is "syropiasta" meaning it's a dessert made with a lot of syrup.

Attachments

• 20220430_150030.jpg
    20220430_150030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: d_kakavouli
Yes, klostari (κλωστάρι) baklava from Ioannia is probably my favorite baklava. As for finding one thats not too sweet, that'll be hard because it is "syropiasta" meaning it's a dessert made with a lot of syrup.
I haven't heard of this brand, thank you. I will be on the lookout next time I go to Greece.

Reactions: francescool
This company too has excellent baklava or "syropiasta" sweets
I've had their baklava before! I highly recommend it!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

Food at Greek Weddings?

When it comes to planning a Greek wedding, what Greek food is traditional to serve? I am helping my friend play her wedding and want to gather information.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on the traditional Greek foods served at weddings? I'm curious about dishes that are must-haves on the big day, any symbolic meanings behind certain foods, and how the menu reflects Greek culture and traditions.

I remember at my cousin's wedding, they had kourabedies and some sort of traditional Cretan rice pilaf served at weddings (they're Cretan, but the wedding was in the US).

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.

Planning a "Greek" Garden - Tips?

Nothing tastes better than vegetables, fruits, herbs, et cetera that have come straight from the earth to the plate. The only way to really have full control is to grow a lot of food on my own. I am sure this is one of the reasons why food tastes so good in Greece.

It's time to start planning my garden because before I know it, I will need to start planting. And, I might want to start some things from seed. I know realistically I won't be able to grow 100% of my produce, but I would at least like to contribute.

What should I plant?

Priority are tomatoes. I would also like to grow some lettuce and other things. Bell peppers. For herbs, oregano, basil, dill, parsley, mint. Maybe cucumbers and squash? Was thinking maybe to grow strawberries and some other fruits - but fruit seems a lot tricker.

What do you guys think?

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back