1 - 6 of 6 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Santorini is inundated with tourists but I am wondering if there is anywhere on the island that may not be as busy but is still nice to visit. Or, that is maybe close to the busy areas but not too close. I love Santorini, and my family has never been. I want them to see it, but I don't want it to be stressful.

I am wondering if I should just forget it. I have heard stories about how expensive and busy it is in the summers.

I’m not sure that there is any out-of-the-way place left in Santorini. However I agree with you. It is a very unique and important place to visit. In spite of the fact that Greece is now being heavily promoted as a year-round destination, you should definitely try to avoid Santorini in July and August, unless that interferes too much with (I assume) your children’s school schedule. You could also look for accommodation in a village like Pyrgos or other inland village and rent a car which would give you flexibility to get around and find those quiet spots when the cruise ships arrive and everyone else is on the cliffs! The other secret is to get up early and walk the cliffs (Fira to Oia) before people are awake and people have disembarked from the ships. It can be a blissfully quiet and stunning walk as the morning fog rises out of the Caldera. Unless the cruise ships have changed this, Sunday morning can be a good time to explore Greek towns in general - before the shops are open.

I think this travel hack "get up early" to enjoy a popular destination works every time. It's really hard to take a photo if the place is already crowded and somehow disappoints you. So, if I really want to enjoy and appreciate its beauty, then I don't mind waking up early.

I agree with Deborah, Santorini is important to visit at least once. It's iconic and very stunning. FootsLog, it is tough for me to wake up early but for Santorini I agree with you. Set the alarm and get out there and really see it before the crowds come in.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
There's some great advice here thank you everyone! I am going to try to get my family up early to enjoy some stuff before the crowds kick in. Maybe we can eat a long lunch during the "peak" times to avoid much of the bustle in the main areas.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of staying in Pyrgos or other village inland and slightly away from Oia or Fira to help with that, too. But my wife is still pushing to stay on the Caldera... we'll have to see how this evolves. lol.

Unless your wife is thinking of one of the luxury cliffside hotels with cave bedrooms and a horizon pool etc. (and who could blame her?!) a good compromise might be the Aressana Spa and Hotel in Fira. It is located right next to the Cathedral and just a minute’s walk to the cliffside that could be viewed any time. There’s also a pool for the family and parking for your rental car.

Hotel in Santorini with a view like this?

My wife and I are going to Santorini soon. We usually stay with people, but they don't live on the caldera like this.

I thought it would be a nice treat to stay somewhere for a few days that his this kind of a view!

I know there are some great caldera-perched places in Oia. I know they're expensive but they seem worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

santorini-greece.jpg

Advice on galleries to visit in Fira?

I heard that Santorini is a great place for artists and people who admire art. I will be in Santorini for a cruise stop soon, but I will only have time to explore Fira.

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Santorini and, as an enthusiastic art lover, I'm eager to immerse myself in the local art scene. Fira, with its stunning caldera views and charming streets, is on my travel itinerary, and I would love to explore some art galleries while I'm there.

From what I've gathered, Santorini, and Fira in particular, is a hub for vibrant art, showcasing everything from contemporary pieces by local artists to ancient artifacts that narrate the island's rich history. However, with such a plethora of options, it's a bit overwhelming to choose where to start.

Anyone have any advice?

santorini-greece.jpg

Worth it to visit Imerovigli?

I am trying to gather information for my next trip to Greece. We are spending a few nights in Santorini. I've stayed in Oia in the past, but I want to do something different. Is Imerovigli a good option?

Here is some information I have gathered about it:

It's a small and peaceful village located on the northwest coast of Santorini, almost halfway between the bustling towns of Fira and Oia. This makes it a perfect spot for those who want to enjoy the island's beauty without the crowds (so I have been told).

When it comes to accommodations, Imerovigli has some of the most luxurious and unique hotels in Santorini. Many of them are built into the cliffs. I drove through this village last time I was on Santorini and thought the hotels looked nice)

There are also plenty of restaurants and cafes in Imerovigli to enjoy authentic Greek cuisine and drinks. Some of the most highly-rated restaurants include Anogi, Avocado, and La Maison. And if you want to relax and unwind, you can head to one of the many spas in Imerovigli that offer massages, Jacuzzis, and other treatments.

Off the beaten track suggestions for Santorini?

I've been completely mesmerized by the postcard photos of Santorini, but beyond the blue domes and the sunsets of Oia, I'm looking to uncover some of the island's best-kept secrets. What do you suggest?

Have you stumbled upon any villages, beaches, or local haunts here that you loved? Or maybe historical sites too? I am just looking to do something different that what is typical.

Views like this wouldn't hurt!

santorini-greece.jpg

Oia Santorini Sunset Cruise

I found this video of a sunset cruise in Oia on Santorini and I am intrigued! I'll share the video, and I am curious if any of you have tried this. I had a terrible experience fighting for a standing spot last time I was in Oia.

Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back