1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

I plan to visit Crete next year and I also want to visit one other place, maybe an island. Crete is pretty far south, but are there any islands that are convenient to get to by ferry from there? I would be flying into Athens and staying for a few days at least, then heading to Crete by overnight ferry. I would be looking for something to do after Crete and before heading home.

Lotjeurope

I plan to visit Crete next year and I also want to visit one other place, maybe an island. Crete is pretty far south, but are there any islands that are convenient to get to by ferry from there? I would be flying into Athens and staying for a few days at least, then heading to Crete by overnight ferry. I would be looking for something to do after Crete and before heading home.
We went from Crete (Heraklion) to Santorini by ferry. ( 2 hours or so by highspeed). Santorini is one of the must sees, but touristy. I like it, but not everyone does.

Deborah

Santorini IS stunning. Milos is another beautiful Cycladic Island. I think that the Minoan Lines runs a ferry from Milos to Chania, Crete several times a week. Unless someone knows for sure here, you might have to wait until the schedules come out next Spring to plan out your days.

k_tsoukalas

I like Santorini, as well. I find that it's uncomfortable tourist-wise when the cruise ships are in town, but they tend to only be there for the day. I like to wake up and get settled into my day's activity before the ships arrive, then they're gone by the evening. I just had to learn the pattern and once I did, the crowds didn't bother me.

Off the Beaten Track Destinations in Greece

I know that there are some major destinations that are worth visiting in Greece, but there are also some great places that are off the beaten track. I would love to visit them soon. I made a small list, but I also want suggestions:
  • Kea
  • Ithaka
  • Tinos
  • Patmos (but I do know some cruses stop here)
  • Naxos
  • Kythnos
What do you guys think?

Is this a weird itinerary?

I am going to be in Greece about a month this summer and I keep changing my mind about what I will be doing while in the country. This is my itinerary and I am trying to figure out if I can pull it off without things being stressful. Every single thing on the list exists because I have people to visit. Santorini is on the list because of a wedding... I want to try to do all of it but I am not sure about the Santorini piece of it... but since it is a wedding I think I should just make it work.

Anyway, the destinations are: Athens (I have A LOT of people to visit, I will need like two total weeks here), Corinth (one person to visit), Kythira (no one to visit, I just want to go), Santorini (the wedding).

Is this too disjointed? Appreciate your thoughts.

Best Greek Destinations from Athens by Ferry?

Once I arrive in Athens, I won't want to take a flight again until it is time to leave Greece. But, I would love to travel around.

What are the best places to visit in Greece from Athens (Piraeus) but Ferry? I know there are some day trips from Athens (Hydra, Aegina, Kea) but what about some other places? Also, did I miss any other day trips?

I mean, more like islands to visit. I know I can always drive around when I am on the mainland.

Share You Santorini Photos...

I would love to see your Santorini photos. I want to visit but am hesitant because of what I have head about the crowds. I would love to visit this church, too!

santorini-greece.jpg

Tripadvisor: Greek Destinations Among ‘Best of the Best’ Places to Travel in 2023

So there we have it! Greek Destinations amongst the best places travel!....Well for a start they always have been for the last 50 years plus!😂😂....and the funny thing is when they decide Rome has the best culinary experiences!....I nearly fell off my hammock laughing reading this!😂😂...I will never know how they quantify, great PR for us all the same!👍👍.....No Mykonos oh my god what are we going to do?.😂.. Actually Andros, Syros, Milos and Folegandros are the places to visit!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube