1 - 4 of 4 Posts

paharo45

As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

greek-honey.jpg

Reactions: Voula
As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

View attachment 1267
Hi! I have a few recipes you might want to try that use honey, instead of sugar and are perfect for Lent! There's Pasteli (Ancient Greek Sesame Bars), Saragli (Baklava Rolls), Baklava Triangles and Homemade Granola Clusters. If you can get real Greek honey, they'll be even better! Let me know what you think!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Hi! I have a few recipes you might want to try that use honey, instead of sugar and are perfect for Lent! There's Pasteli (Ancient Greek Sesame Bars), Saragli (Baklava Rolls), Baklava Triangles and Homemade Granola Clusters. If you can get real Greek honey, they'll be even better! Let me know what you think!
These recipes look delicious!

I have never made baklava in the rolls, just in a big pan. I am intrigued by that and your granola clusters.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Voula
These recipes look delicious!

I have never made baklava in the rolls, just in a big pan. I am intrigued by that and your granola clusters.

Thanks for sharing!
Just pan a whole pan of granola clusters for lent!

Attachments

• granola.jpg
    granola.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back