I will be traveling to Greece and I have a gluten free person in my party. I thought I would make a running list of Greek foods that are naturally gluten free. The individual we are traveling with isn't Greek and she's really nervous about it. I am sure people can accommodate her while in Greece?
- Greek Village Salad - As long as there
- Grilled Octopus - this is popular in Greece and naturally gluten free.
- Fava Dip - Made from yellow split peas, there shouldn't be gluten in this, but I would still ask how it's prepared.
- Stuffed Grape Leaves - Known as dolmades, these small bundles of grape leaves are stuffed with rice, meat, and seasonings.
- Souvlaki - Skewered meat (chicken, pork, beef) that is marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs and then grilled to perfection.
- Tzatziki - A refreshing and creamy dip made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and dill. Perfect served with fresh veggies or as a topping for any grilled meats.
- Gemista - A traditional Greek dish of stuffed peppers (and sometimes tomatoes) filled with a mixture of rice, herbs, and sometimes meat.
- Greek Fish - Greece has a wealth of fresh fish, which is often served baked or grilled with lemon, herbs, and olive oil.
- Gyro plate - it's not in pita bread - everything is deconstructed on the plate. Just tell them not to give you the pita.