1 - 2 of 2 Posts

paharo45

I will be traveling to Greece and I have a gluten free person in my party. I thought I would make a running list of Greek foods that are naturally gluten free. The individual we are traveling with isn't Greek and she's really nervous about it. I am sure people can accommodate her while in Greece?

• Greek Village Salad - As long as there
  • Grilled Octopus - this is popular in Greece and naturally gluten free.
  • Fava Dip - Made from yellow split peas, there shouldn't be gluten in this, but I would still ask how it's prepared.
  • Stuffed Grape Leaves - Known as dolmades, these small bundles of grape leaves are stuffed with rice, meat, and seasonings.
  • Souvlaki - Skewered meat (chicken, pork, beef) that is marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs and then grilled to perfection.
  • Tzatziki - A refreshing and creamy dip made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and dill. Perfect served with fresh veggies or as a topping for any grilled meats.
  • Gemista - A traditional Greek dish of stuffed peppers (and sometimes tomatoes) filled with a mixture of rice, herbs, and sometimes meat.
  • Greek Fish - Greece has a wealth of fresh fish, which is often served baked or grilled with lemon, herbs, and olive oil.
  • Gyro plate - it's not in pita bread - everything is deconstructed on the plate. Just tell them not to give you the pita.
What else? There's actually a lot! Any advice on navigating the whole gluten free thing in Greece?

Fasolakia ladera,
Melitzanes imam,
Xorta,
Briam,

Don’t worry, there are plenty of gluten free options in tavernas and restaurants as well as in the supermarkets. Vassilo poulia has a great selection. There is also a chain called viologiko xorio that caters to vegans vegetarians and gluten free peeps. It is in Athens but they also have a website if u want to order from.

Most iconic dishes in Greek cuisine?

I love cooking Greek and I have my favorites and so does my family. We love - spanakopita, avgolemono, souvlaki, keftedes, dolmades, yemista, and I few more. I am curious, which dishes are iconic and you can't live without?

I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially for:
  • Traditional main courses
  • Must-try appetizers
  • Desserts that are quintessentially Greek
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!

Gluten Free Pastries in Greek Cooking?

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.

Recipe for Grilled Hallloumi Cheese

I love to grill and this recipe is simple and easy, and complements most grilled meals very well! I serve this with a squeeze of lemon.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a pinch of chili flakes
  • Fresh herbs (parsley, mint, or dill) for garnish
  • Lemon wedges for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Halloumi:
    • Remove the halloumi cheese from its packaging and pat it dry with a paper towel.
    • Cut the halloumi into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  2. Marinate the Cheese:
    • In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper (and chili flakes if using).
    • Brush both sides of the halloumi slices with the olive oil mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  3. Preheat the Grill:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, heat it over medium-high heat until hot.
  4. Grill the Halloumi:
    • Place the marinated halloumi slices on the grill or grill pan.
    • Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is golden brown and has grill marks. Be careful not to overcook, as halloumi can become rubbery if left on the grill for too long.

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back