1 - 4 of 4 Posts

ssherie_

I have been looking for Greek Christmas music I can play when I have people over. I found some videos - do you guys have anything you can recommend?

I am having a lot of people over for different things, and thought it would be fun to add Greek music in the mix.

Here is what I found:

Here is the Greek Christmas carol, the kalanda:

I love all these resources - thanks for sharing them! I have played them a few times to get into the Christmas spirit!

Go to youtube and search "Χριστουγεννιάτικα τραγούδια" for general Christmas music.

If you want Christmas carols then search "τα κάλαντα των Χριστουγέννων"

Learning about hospitality in Greece

I was trying to explain to some non-Greek friends about hospitality in Greece. I feel like it's next level, but how do you explain it?

Could anyone help me explain any of the following:
  • Traditional welcome gestures in Greece
  • Common household customs when visiting a Greek home
  • Etiquette for showing appreciation to Greek hosts
  • Any specific do's and don'ts that a foreigner should be aware of

How to choose godparents?

I'm currently planning a baptism for a child in the Greek Orthodox Church and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. One of the most significant decisions we're facing is choosing the right godparents. I understand that in our tradition, the role of a godparent is not only a great honor but also carries profound spiritual and moral responsibilities. They are to guide the child in the Orthodox faith, ensuring they grow in the church and its teachings.

How do you choose? I have a few candidates and am trying to narrow it down.

Appropriate clothing for Holy Week services?

I was going to wear a floral dress to the service on Good Friday - I pretty much always do - and someone made a comment that they didn't think it's appropriate because it is a service of mourning.

You know, I guess that makes sense - but I haven't that much of it. What are your thoughts on it? I ended up choosing an outfit that looked a little more somber.

I am curious about the best things to wear through Holy Week! I am assuming the really spring-like colors are best on Pascha?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back