1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greggd12

This is one of my favourite Greek forms by the same as ancient Greek poet Aristotle. I always read it when I'm feeling lonely and in the mood for some inspiration. I remember first reading Aristotle when I was in high school, and I was always captivated by his words in his poems. To this day, so many years later, his words still ring true and I'm still moved by them. What are your favourite palms by Aristotle?

Hymn To Virtue by Aristotle

Virtue, to men thou bringest care and toil;
Yet art thou life's best, fairest spoil!
O virgin goddess, for thy beauty's sake
To die is delicate in this our Greece,
Or to endure of pain the stern strong ache.
Such fruit for our soul's ease
Of joys undying, dearer far than gold
Or home or soft-eyed sleep, dost thou unfold!
It was for thee the seed of Zeus,
Stout Herakles, and Leda's twins, did choose
Strength-draining deeds, to spread abroad thy name:
Smit with the love of thee
Aias and Achilleus went smilingly
Down to Death's portal, crowned with deathless fame.
Now, since thou art so fair,
Leaving the lightsome air.
Atarneus' hero hath died gloriously.
Wherefore immortal praise shall be his guerdon:
His goodness and his deeds are made the burden
Of songs divine
Sung by Memory's daughters nine,
Hymning of hospitable Zeus the might
And friendship firm as fate in fate's despite

k_tsoukalas

This is a beautiful poem, thank you for sharing it!

Well,at last hope commences!

Can you pass this Greek geography quiz?

I'm so curious to see how much everyone knows about Greek geography. Personally, I know very little so it's super interesting to see how actual Greeks did with these questions.

Who is your favorite Greek leader?

Throughout all of the years and empires throughout Greek history, who is your favorite leader? Who do you think did the best job in leading and supporting Greece. Personally I think Venizelos was great, since he contributed greatly to the modern success of Greece both domestically and on an international level.

The most famous byzantine style buildings!

Byzantine architecture is one of the hallmarks of Greek buildings, especially churches and holy sites. Some of the most famous Byzantine style buildings include the Hagia Sophia (of course), Hagia Irene, Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica, and the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian. These buildings have striking Byzantine architecture with beautiful domes on top and ornate designs inside. I can't wait to visit one day.

What is the difference between the Roman and Byzantine empire?

This is something that has always confused me. I've seen people use the words Roman and Byzantine interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure that the Roman empire was led by the Italians, and the Byzantine empire by the Greeks/Romans. Does anyone see my confusion here? And is someone able to clarify?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter