1 - 4 of 4 Posts

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I've been to Greece several times but I have never been to Thessaloniki. What are some of the main sites to see here, and what do you all recommend doing?

Reactions: ssherie_
I would recommend the Ladadika district and Lefkos Pirgos! They're the most popular spots for sure :)

Reactions: auroracoor1
I love Aristotelis Square! Almost all of Thessaloniki’s public celebrations (Christmas and New Year), as well as cultural and political events and rallies are held on Aristotelous Square. It's so beautiful during holidays because everyone is out and about shopping, eating, and enjoying the beautiful Greek weather.

I've been to Greece several times but I have never been to Thessaloniki. What are some of the main sites to see here, and what do you all recommend doing?
Thessaloniki is the most erotic city in Greece. You have to take a walk by the sea (leoforos Nikis) and you will find Lefko pyrgo. You must visit Aristotelous plateia( square) and have a Coffee on Δωμάτιο με θέα (room with a view) where you can see the square and the sea. You must visit Λαδάδικα (ladadika) where the night is magical for Coffee, drinks or special food. I will add a Coffee Shop Remvi | Café Bar Restaurant in Kalamaria, by the sea also. A stroll in the old city where you can find the ancient walls. You should visit Agios Dimitrios, a church in Agiou Dimitriou street, a saint that protects Thessaloniki.

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back