1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

I love Pastitsio and I lost my family's recipe. I found a different recipe. What do you guys think of it? I have no recollection how my family makes it - I haven't made it yet.

Ingredients

For the Pasta

• 1 1/2 cup of macaroni or penne pasta
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup of freshly grated Kefalotiri or Parmesan cheese
  • A pinch of nutmeg

For the Meat Sauce

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 pound of ground beef or lamb
  • 1/2 cup of red wine
  • 3 cups of tomato sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste

For the Béchamel Sauce

• 4 cups of milk
  • 1 cup of unsalted butter
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of freshly grated Kefalotiri or Parmesan cheese
  • A pinch of nutmeg
Instructions

1. Cooking the Pasta​

Begin by cooking your pasta according to package instructions, aiming for it to be al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and allow it to cool slightly, ensuring the egg and grated cheese you'll soon add don't cook upon contact.

2. Preparing the Meat Sauce​

In a large pan, sauté the chopped onion in olive oil until soft. Add the ground meat, breaking it up and browning it. Pour in the wine and stir, letting the mixture simmer until the liquid has evaporated. Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes. Set aside.

3. Crafting the Béchamel Sauce​

In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth, and gradually add the milk, continuing to whisk. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, reducing it to a simmer. Cook and stir until thickened, which should take 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. Whisk the eggs and add to the sauce, along with the cheese and nutmeg.

I add a small amount of cinnamon to meat mixture, just barely able to taste. You don't want it to scream, cinnamon.

I add a small amount of cinnamon too - I eyeball it but I try not to drown it. I freshly grind the nutmeg so I only need a small amount. I recommend grinding your own, as well! The flavor is so much richer.

Oh no, losing a family recipe is always a bummer! Adding a touch of cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg sounds intriguing; it's those little details that make a dish unforgettable. By the way, have you ever considered pairing your Pastitsio with a side of pico de gallo for a refreshing contrast?

Last edited:

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

Most iconic dishes in Greek cuisine?

I love cooking Greek and I have my favorites and so does my family. We love - spanakopita, avgolemono, souvlaki, keftedes, dolmades, yemista, and I few more. I am curious, which dishes are iconic and you can't live without?

I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially for:
  • Traditional main courses
  • Must-try appetizers
  • Desserts that are quintessentially Greek
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Advice for Making Taramasalata from Scratch?

I'm hoping to get some advice on making taramosalata from scratch. I've tried a few recipes, but I can't seem to get the texture and flavor just right. Here are a few specific questions I have:
  • Which type of roe should I use? I've seen recipes that use carp, cod, and even bottarga. Does it make a significant difference in taste and texture?
  • What's the best method for achieving a smooth consistency? My attempts often turn out a bit too lumpy or grainy.
  • Any tips on balancing the flavors? Some batches come out too salty or too bland. What's the ideal ratio of roe to other ingredients like lemon juice and olive oil?
  • Do you have any secret ingredients or techniques? I've read about people adding things like bread or potatoes. How do these additions affect the final product?
I'd love to hear your suggestions or see your tried-and-true recipes. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back