1 - 7 of 7 Posts

seleanor

When baking with phyllo, use olive oil (not extra virgin) for savory treats like spanakopita and butter for sweets like baklava. :)

Thanks for the phyllo tip, never heard of this and we will try it next time we make spanakopita and/or baklava! 🇬🇷

Might just be me, but I have NEVER had success using olive oil and filo pastry.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Might just be me, but I have NEVER had success using olive oil and filo pastry.
Do you use butter? I find that butter is good for sweet pastries but I like to use olive oil for savoury. The phyllo is always more flaky with butter though

Butter makes the pastry flakier. When olive oil is used, it gives it a different texture. It maybe feels a little denser, and can make even store bought phyllo feel homemade. For me, it all depends on the situation. Sometimes I even do a half butter, half olive oil blend.

Definitely butter for sweets. Recipes for homemade filo are made with lots of butter. Had a cooking lesson on the weekend. My cousin was teaching me to make Kastellorizian sweet - Katoumathia. Katoumathia is fried flaky pastry garnished with sugar, water and cloves - flour, water kneaded and rolled out. cut into pieces. Each piece rolled out again and lots and lots (and lots more) melted butter spread over, rolled into strands, squished and rolled out again and fried in butter. Unfortunately this cannot be made with filo. BUT, I have made similar with frozen roti and lots and lots of butter garnished with sugar, water and cloves.

Attachments

• Patricia + Katoumaria.jpg
    Patricia + Katoumaria.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Ive never heard of this pastry, looks so yummy, thanks for sharing :) :) :) :) :)

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Choosing a Greek Olive Oil to Use for Cooking

I've recently become fascinated with the nuances of cooking oils, specifically Greek olive oil, and I'm curious about how others go about selecting the right one for their cooking needs. With its renowned flavor profile and health benefits, Greek olive oil is a staple in my kitchen. However, with so many varieties and flavor strengths (from robust to mild), I often find myself overwhelmed by the choices.

I have a great olive oil that I use as a finisher or to put on salad. I love the flavor so much. I only have a small quantity, though. So, I want to preserve it. In other words, I don't want to use it for cooking, I think it will ruin it.

How do I really choose a Greek olive oil to cook with?

greek-olive-oil.jpg

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.

Best way to make saganaki?

I went to a restaurant the other day and they lit the saganaki on fire! When I make saganaki at home, I don't do that - mainly because my recipe doesn't call for it.

How does one incorporate the fire into creating the dish?

From what I can tell, the restaurant prepares the saganaki and then before they bring it out, I think they douse it in ouzo and let it with a torch on the way to the table.

It's a fun thing to watch. It kind of freaks me out at home - mainly because I would be merely guessing at this point. Any ideas?

Learning about Greek honey

As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

greek-honey.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back