1 - 7 of 7 Posts

seleanor

When baking with phyllo, use olive oil (not extra virgin) for savory treats like spanakopita and butter for sweets like baklava. :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the phyllo tip, never heard of this and we will try it next time we make spanakopita and/or baklava! 🇬🇷

Patisqua

Might just be me, but I have NEVER had success using olive oil and filo pastry.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

Might just be me, but I have NEVER had success using olive oil and filo pastry.
Do you use butter? I find that butter is good for sweet pastries but I like to use olive oil for savoury. The phyllo is always more flaky with butter though

k_tsoukalas

Butter makes the pastry flakier. When olive oil is used, it gives it a different texture. It maybe feels a little denser, and can make even store bought phyllo feel homemade. For me, it all depends on the situation. Sometimes I even do a half butter, half olive oil blend.

Patisqua

Definitely butter for sweets. Recipes for homemade filo are made with lots of butter. Had a cooking lesson on the weekend. My cousin was teaching me to make Kastellorizian sweet - Katoumathia. Katoumathia is fried flaky pastry garnished with sugar, water and cloves - flour, water kneaded and rolled out. cut into pieces. Each piece rolled out again and lots and lots (and lots more) melted butter spread over, rolled into strands, squished and rolled out again and fried in butter. Unfortunately this cannot be made with filo. BUT, I have made similar with frozen roti and lots and lots of butter garnished with sugar, water and cloves.

Attachments

• Patricia + Katoumaria.jpg
    Patricia + Katoumaria.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

dubai_suzie

Ive never heard of this pastry, looks so yummy, thanks for sharing :) :) :) :) :)

How to make kormos (chocolate salami)

Whatever you call this dessert: salami, kormos or mosaiko its amazing!

Check out these sizzling lamb chops I had in Greece

These lamb chops were phenomenal!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 8.20.30 PM.png

Use fresh Greek chamomile tea to help you sleep before bed

Fresh Greek chamomile can be great for falling asleep and relaxing! Greek herbs have been used for hundreds of years for medicinal and lifestyle purposes. There is so much you can use that comes from the earth.

Chamomile-720x480.jpg

Simple and smoky grilled octopus thats Greek style

I love grilled octopus. I like to make it with the whole head, and I know that some people don't like to prepare it that way, but I don't like to waste food. I make my octopus using a super simple marinade, just olive oil, lemon, sea salt, oregano, pepper and vinegar.

Grilled-Octopus-720x482.jpg

Greek potato and onion salad is a great appetizer

These are the ingredients for making a super tasty Greek potato salad as an appetizer

• 6 medium boiled potatoes
  • 4 medium red onions
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 6 tablespoons Greek olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
  • Chopped parsley, to garnish
This is what your end product will look like!

Potato-and-Onion-Salad-720x482.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter