1 - 7 of 7 Posts

seleanor

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

Reactions: Vangelis
This is so great! I like to watch Greek programs to help learn Greek a little better, but it's hard to find resources online.

This is my favourite Greek TV Series. I like how you get to see how they lived in Athens in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Also, the way they introduce historical events with actual TV reels through the black & white TV that the family owns is very clever. The third series is soon to be released and I'm eagerly awaiting the new episodes!

Reactions: francescool
This is my favourite Greek TV Series. I like how you get to see how they lived in Athens in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Also, the way they introduce historical events with actual TV reels through the black & white TV that the family owns is very clever. The third series is soon to be released and I'm eagerly awaiting the new episodes!
Yes it's excellent! It's a great way to learn about Greek culture and history

Do you know exactly when it will be released ? :)

Do you know exactly when it will be released ? :)
No, I saw an ad for it on Greek TV but I don't know when it is going to be released. I think the most likely will be after Greeks come back from their holidays. Probably Sep/Oct.

Reactions: toniiv
No, I saw an ad for it on Greek TV but I don't know when it is going to be released. I think the most likely will be after Greeks come back from their holidays. Probably Sep/Oct.
Yes, most Greek tv shows are on break in the summer, especially August and you will see mostly reruns playing on TV

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back