1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

From what I understand, Metaxas was a somewhat controversial figure in Greece. However, he is the one who stood his ground against the Axis Powers when they wanted Greece to allow occupation during World War II without a fight.

I guess at the time, a representative from Italy gave Metaxas an ultimatum from Mussolini. I heard somewhere that what he really said was: “Alors, c’est la guerre.” Which means, then it is war. The Greek people translated it as "Oxi".

In my mind, this is Philotimo. Standing against Italy and the Axis Powers was the right thing to do.

Does anyone know why Metaxas is generally considered controversial? Does it have to do with Oxi day or something else?

I think that he was controversial because of his politics. I think it tracked to the 4th of August Regime and the fact that he was appointed by the king. He wanted to remain neutral during WWII but as the events unfolded, he knew that the right thing to do was to stand up against the Axis Powers.

Learning about Greek Independence Day

March 25th marks a significant celebration in Greece, but I realize my knowledge on its historical context is quite limited.

From what I understand, this day commemorates the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821, where Greece sought to end several centuries of Ottoman rule. However, I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of this period, the key figures involved, and how the struggle for independence unfolded over time.

Additionally, I'd be interested in understanding how this day is celebrated across Greece today and whether any particular traditions are tied to it. For example, are there specific ceremonies, parades, or family traditions that uniquely mark this day in Greek culture?

Greek-flag.jpg

Earliest Civilizations of Greece

When I visit Greece, I love to learn about the history. I want to Greece for a bit this past summer and loved learning about the Minoans. Were they the earliest or was there a civilization before them?

Prior to this trip, I had thought the Minoans were contained to Crete, but I went to Santorini and Aegina, as well, and they also talked about the Minoan influence. Fascinating stuff. I want to learn about the Mycenaeans, too. Were they kind of at the same time as the Minoans?

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Interesting Greek History Topics I Like

The Persian Wars: The wars fought between Greece and the Persian empire in the 5th century BC were some of the most consequential conflicts of ancient times. Learn about the key events, such as the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and the strategies that allowed the Greeks to repel the Persian invaders.

The Rise of Athens: Arguably the most influential city-state in ancient Greece, Athens was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and the arts. Follow the rise of Athens from a humble village to a powerhouse of trade and culture.

The Peloponnesian War: The decades-long conflict between Athens and Sparta was a turning point in Greek history, leading to the decline of Athens and the rise of Macedon under Philip II and his son Alexander.

The Life of Alexander the Great: The young conqueror who led his armies across the known world, Alexander the Great is one of the most famous and admired figures of ancient history. Learn about his upbringing, his conquests, and his legacy.

The Olympic Games: A tradition that continues to this day, the ancient Olympics were a celebration of sports, culture, and political power. Explore the origins of the games and the events that took place.

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back