1 - 1 of 1 Posts
J

John Stefan

Has anyone ever read the book Greek Myths by Robert Graves? I look forward to some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

Mentions of Food in Greek Mythology

When I was in school, I remember learning about Greek Mythology in school and reading some of the myths and legends. I actually don't remember the specifics of the stories, but I was just thinking that I DO remember the food mentions! I came across this article when I was trying to research it online. I found it interesting:

These are some of my favorite Greek foods! Maybe that's why it was memorable...

The story of Hercules

Hercules is probably one of the most famous Greek figures, having a famous Disney movie after his story. As most Greek mythology stories, his starts from a dark place, being unwanted by his family. The Oracle provided him with 12 labors that he needed to defeat. This video goes over all of them!

Visit the temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion

The temple of Poseidon is one of the mainlands most beautiful ancient Greek structures. The temple was built by the ancient Greeks in honor of the god Poseidon, who is said to be the god of the sea. Near the Temple, there are freestanding statues of young men. The temple was built strategically by the ancient Greeks, at the very tip of the mainland and overlooking the sea. That's why this temple is so beautiful to visit, since you have a great view of the ocean and the horizon.

Information about Delos in Greek Mythology?

I am interested in visiting Delos. It's so fascinating! I love learning about Greek Mythology and I wonder if Delos has ties to Greek Mythology? This is a bit I found about Delos from the Wikipedia page:

Delos had a position as a holy sanctuary for a millennium before Olympian Greek Mythology made it the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. From its Sacred Harbour, the horizon shows the three conical mounds that have identified landscapes sacred to a goddess (it is predicted that the deity's name is Athena) - in other sites: one, retaining its Pre-Greek name Mount Synths (Mount Kynthos), is crowned with a sanctuary of Zeus.

Would love to learn more, if anyone can point me in the direction of some good resources!

Mythological Places in Greece to Visit?

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the travel forum but I am curious... where should I visit in Greece if I want to be in touch with Greek Mythology? I understand that there are some notable places. Here is a list of what I have come up with. Can you think of anything to add?

• Mount Olympus - pretty fun that it is a real place!
  • Cave of Zeus in Crete - where supposedly he was raised
  • Archeron - you can actually visit the river mentioned in the stories, as being a gateway to the underworld?
  • Delphi - where the fabled oracle did her thing!
I can't think of anything else....
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube