1 - 4 of 4 Posts

mastichas09

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops

Love Greek food, and I remember feeling a bit intimidated when I first started cooking it at home. However, I found that starting with simple, classic dishes made the process much more manageable.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
One of the first Greek dishes I tried was Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki), which is essentially a mix of fresh vegetables, olives, and feta cheese dressed with olive oil and oregano. It's incredibly easy to make and tastes so fresh and flavorful. Well, I started trying more complex dishes like Greek Lemon Chicken and Souvlaki.
I've also found that having some Greek yogurt on hand is great for making quick and easy desserts, like Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts. It's a simple yet delicious treat that's perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth.
If you're interested in more tips to improve your Greek cooking skills, you can check out some CooksCrafter Kitchen Tips that have really helped me.

Last edited:
Love Greek food, and I remember feeling a bit intimidated when I first started cooking it at home. However, I found that starting with simple, classic dishes made the process much more manageable.
Great advice. I would also say start small. Do the easier things, like village salad, tzatziki (especially easy if you have food processor). Them pick one or two things that you love that are a little more complicated, like spanakopita or braised lamb shank, and work on those until you feel comfortable. Then you can branch out.

The cuisine has its own mindset. I would also suggest talking to other Greek cooks, or even cooking with them, to learn this mindset. It will make navigating the cuisine a lot easier.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Learning about Greek food and wine pairing

I've recently developed a fascination with Greek wines and am eager to explore their potential pairings with various cuisines. Greek wines, with their rich history and unique grape varieties, offer a tantalizing range of flavors that I believe can complement a wide array of dishes beautifully. However, my experience in effectively pairing these wines is somewhat limited, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those more familiar with this area.

Particularly, I'm interested in understanding which types of Greek wines (white, red, or rosé) pair best with specific dishes or cuisines. Here are a few specific questions I have in mind:
  1. Assyrtiko: Known for its crisp acidity and citrus notes, which dishes would best highlight Assyrtiko's characteristics?
  2. Agiorgitiko: Often described as smooth and velvety, what kinds of meals would complement this type of red wine?
  3. Xinomavro: With its robust tannins and complex flavor profile, what are the best food pairings to balance its intensity?
  4. Retsina: Given its unique pine resin flavor, are there particular foods that match well with this traditional wine?
Additionally, I'm curious if there are any general rules of thumb when it comes to pairing Greek wines with dishes from other culinary traditions outside of Greek cuisine.

Thank you!

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Essential Greek Pantry Staples - Your Recommendations?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Greek cuisine and I'm on a mission to incorporate more of its flavors into my daily cooking. Given the vast knowledge pool here, I thought this would be the perfect place to ask about must-have Greek pantry staples.

From what I gather, olive oil, olives, and feta cheese seem like obvious essentials. But I'm curious about the less obvious, yet equally important ingredients that could elevate my dishes with authentic Greek flavors.

Are there specific herbs, spices, or any other pantry items that are staples in Greek cooking? Additionally, if there are brands or types of these ingredients that you swear by, I'd love to hear about those too.

greek-food-pantry-items.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back