1 - 7 of 7 Posts

efhernandez_

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.

You can do whatever you want. I doubt the couple will get upset if you decide not to buy them anything.

I just had my wedding in Greece (and I'm from the USA) and some people who didn't show up bought us gifts while others didn't. We really didn't care if people bought us anything or not. What we really liked was getting messages from people who couldn't attend telling us congratulations and wishing us a happy marriage.

You can do whatever you want. I doubt the couple will get upset if you decide not to buy them anything.

I just had my wedding in Greece (and I'm from the USA) and some people who didn't show up bought us gifts while others didn't. We really didn't care if people bought us anything or not. What we really liked was getting messages from people who couldn't attend telling us congratulations and wishing us a happy marriage.
Happy years ahead!♥️🌹....Stini Yasou for your wedding....Tell us more if you feel.... where did you have it?... Fillya from Thailand and Monsoons.....and how....the sea is @force Gail 9 Beaufort!

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
Happy years ahead!♥️🌹....Stini Yasou for your wedding....Tell us more if you feel.... where did you have it?... Fillya from Thailand and Monsoons.....and how....the sea is @force Gail 9 Beaufort!
Well, our wedding was set for 7:00pm in the mountains at an venue where we could have an outdoor wedding. The day of the wedding, I got dressed at the venue which happened to be next to the church. My brother and nephew helped me get dressed. At the same time, at my wife's house, they were having fun as she got dressed, and after she was fully dressed, they all danced. Back at the venue where I was getting dressed, I had quite a few family members over and we had a lot of food to eat while I got dressed. The photographers took photos of us all. At 6:30 our guests started showing up. My wife's koubara showed up early and gave me the bouquet to hold (in Greek weddings, the groom holds the bouquet and gives it to the bride when she meets him at the church entrance).... around 7:00pm we heard a lot of cars honking - this means the groom or the bride is approaching the church, and since I was already at the church with my family it could only me that my wife's family was approaching.

My wife arrived at the venue and I'm standing at the church entrance waiting for her at this point. A band goes to the entrance where my wife will come from, they start playing music and they lead her and her family all the way up to the church entrance to me. We walk to the alter (it's outside) and everyone follows behind us. Then the ceremony began.

For the reception, we entered with fireworks showering on both sides of us (this is a Greek thing), we walked straight to the stage, cut the cake, and had out first dance as soon as we cut the cake. Then we ate, my father-in-law gave a short speech, and mirolόi (a song of remembrance for everyone who has passed away) and we danced. The first dance is for family only and the koubaroi.. After we danced, everyone else joined in. In Greece, guests pay for songs to be played for their family, so we danced nonstop because people wanted to tribute songs to their family. This made me very tired because dances are often 15-20 minutes long, so you don't get to rest, and you have to dance each song out of respect for the family that paid for the song. The last song of the night was a zeibekiko (this is how you tell guests that the reception is over) around 4:00am, which the groom has to dance, so I danced zeibekiko and then people started to leave.

video of me dancing zeibekiko

Last edited:
Can you send money or do a direct deposit? I would say money is more expected then gifts but I could be wrong.

Well, our wedding was set for 7:00pm in the mountains at an venue where we could have an outdoor wedding. The day of the wedding, I got dressed at the venue which happened to be next to the church. My brother and nephew helped me get dressed. At the same time, at my wife's house, they were having fun as she got dressed, and after she was fully dressed, they all danced. Back at the venue where I was getting dressed, I had quite a few family members over and we had a lot of food to eat while I got dressed. The photographers took photos of us all. At 6:30 our guests started showing up. My wife's koubara showed up early and gave me the bouquet to hold (in Greek weddings, the groom holds the bouquet and gives it to the bride when she meets him at the church entrance).... around 7:00pm we heard a lot of cars honking - this means the groom or the bride is approaching the church, and since I was already at the church with my family it could only me that my wife's family was approaching.

My wife arrived at the venue and I'm standing at the church entrance waiting for her at this point. A band goes to the entrance where my wife will come from, they start playing music and they lead her and her family all the way up to the church entrance to me. We walk to the alter (it's outside) and everyone follows behind us. Then the ceremony began.

For the reception, we entered with fireworks showering on both sides of us (this is a Greek thing), we walked straight to the stage, cut the cake, and had out first dance as soon as we cut the cake. Then we ate, my father-in-law gave a short speech, and mirolόi (a song of remembrance for everyone who has passed away) and we danced. The first dance is for family only and the koubaroi.. After we danced, everyone else joined in. In Greece, guests pay for songs to be played for their family, so we danced nonstop because people wanted to tribute songs to their family. This made me very tired because dances are often 15-20 minutes long, so you don't get to rest, and you have to dance each song out of respect for the family that paid for the song. The last song of the night was a zeibekiko (this is how you tell guests that the reception is over) around 4:00am, which the groom has to dance, so I danced zeibekiko and then people started to leave.

video of me dancing zeibekiko
I haven't forgotten to say a few lines of my appreciation for writing such a magnificent description.... Terrific dancing....I will write more later on.... just that your Zeibetiko tune took me back to middle 90s spending cold winter months in Mykonos.....I was mostly alone in the Taverna in Ano Mera Mykonos where the son of Mayor was rehearsing this tune everyday.....and what a joy it was to listen to.....and then it was the signature tune for the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in 2004!..... Yasou apo mena from Thailand and Monsoons!👏👏

Can you send money or do a direct deposit? I would say money is more expected then gifts but I could be wrong.
I agree, I would send a gift, but keep it simple. Money or a direct deposit works. This is especially worth it if you're close to the people, like a close family member or close friend.

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.

Greek tradition of hanging onions on the door?

I just came from my friend's house and I saw there were onions hanging on the door! I asked them about it and learned it was a New Year's tradition. Here's what my research pulled out:

The Greek New Year is celebrated on the 1st of January, but the preparations for the celebration begin on the New Year’s Eve. As per tradition, the Greeks hang onions outside their house, balcony, or anywhere visible to attract good fortune, prosperity, and luck. The onions are hung, infused with various symbols like coins, bread, honey, and olives, representing prosperity, food, and success. This concept reminds the Greeks of their grandmothers, who hung onions outside their homes and gatherings during special occasions, especially New Year’s Eve.

Beyond the symbolic value of the onions, for Greeks, hanging onions also has medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Onions can purify the air and keep away harmful bacteria and impurities due to their sulfur compounds. Additionally, they are believed to have great health benefits and can help boost your immunity, reduce the risk of cancer, and regulate cholesterol levels.

Hanging onions is also a fun activity that the family enjoys together. Everyone gathers around and writes their wishes on the onions and ties them with a red thread, symbolizing good fortune. The onion is then hung outside the house, allowing the wishes to come true. The onions can also be collected at a later stage and used for cooking, acting as a souvenir that remains with the family for the rest of the year.

The notion of hanging onions is an ancient tradition in Greece, and the country takes pride in it. The ritual dates back to ancient Greece, where they were hung on doors and windows to keep away evil spirits and other unwanted energies. In Greece, the land of myths and legends, the onion symbolizes the new life that arises from the depths of the earth, representing hope, fertility, and growth.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Gift Ideas for Greek Christenings

I've had to go to a log of Greek Christenings lately, which means that I know exactly what to do when it comes to gift. I have noticed some gifts traditionally appear. Aside from money, which is also appropriate, here are some ideas:

1. Icons
In Greek religion and culture, icons are considered not just as works of art but as holy objects that help people feel closer to God. Gifting an icon is an incredibly powerful way of expressing love and well wishes to the baby. An icon symbolizes a bond that will stay with the child for a lifetime, and it can hang in their room for years to come. It is an unusual and thoughtful gift that will make a lasting impact.

2. Silver Baby Spoon and Fork Set
A silver baby spoon and fork set is an elegant and memorable gift idea. In Greek culture, silverware is traditional, signifying the precious nature of the sacrament. It is both practical and meaningful and can be passed down through the generations.

3. Christening Outfit
If you're looking for a less traditional gift idea, consider gifting a beautiful christening outfit. This is typically taken care of by either the parents or godparents, so I would check before you buy something.

4. Book of Blessings
A book of blessings containing prayer and passages of faith is an exceptional gift. It is a sentimental and thoughtful gift that will go a long way in nurturing the baby's faith and spiritual growth. Moreover, it is something that the child can revisit years later, reminding them of the love and support they received from their family and friends at the Christening.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back