1 - 3 of 3 Posts

judyloveskef

I am arriving in Argostoli at the end of May. I am a single traveller, dont drive, quite elderly! Anyone have suggestions re trips/excursions? (Am a seasoned visitor to the island).

seleanor

I am arriving in Argostoli at the end of May. I am a single traveller, dont drive, quite elderly! Anyone have suggestions re trips/excursions? (Am a seasoned visitor to the island).
What types of travel are you interested in? Nature? Culture? I would normally recommend Platia Valianou and walking along the harbor but I assume you already may know of those places. Other than that I recommend the Cultural Museum and Aracheological museum. Good and easy day trips from Kefalonia include Ithaki (closest), Zakynthos and Lefkada. I hope this helps!

judyloveskef

What types of travel are you interested in? Nature? Culture? I would normally recommend Platia Valianou and walking along the harbor but I assume you already may know of those places. Other than that I recommend the Cultural Museum and Aracheological museum. Good and easy day trips from Kefalonia include Ithaki (closest), Zakynthos and Lefkada. I hope this helps!
Thank you for your advice.

Visit the Nautical Museum in Kefalonia!

The Nautical Museum of Sami in Kefalonia was established by a resident of Sami named Sotiris Marketos who is a sailor’s son who developed a fascination for shipbuilding and the sea. He would go on the serve the Greek shipping industry for over three decades. He was concerned that his naval town didn’t have a nautical museum and decided to create one. You can learn about shipbuilding, the different types of vessels, the environment, and creatures of the area. View wooden models of vessels that span the course of 3,500 years. These vessels are made by Sortiris Marketos himself.

The Iakovatios library and museum in Kefalonia

This museum and library has so much history. I would love to hear personal reviews if anyone has been. It is housed in an old mansion that was owned by the Typaldi-Iakovatios family. It is one of those places that survived after the massive earthquake that hit the island. However, it did sustain some damage during it. The mansion was restored in 1984 and is now home to a vast collection of books (around 20,000) and other collectibles.

Single travellers

Greeces most unique lighthouse is in Kefalonia!

This is the only lighthouse ive seen that doesn't even look like a lighthouse! It was originally built in 1828 by a British administrator named Charles Napier. The lighthouse was completely destroyed during an earthquake that ravaged the island back in the 1950’s but was rebuilt in the 1960’s. I love how there's so much history behind every building in Greece :)

Lighthouse-of-Saint-Theodoroi-720x480.jpg

Learn about Saint Gerasimus, the patron saint of Kefalonia

This video shows church services straight from Kefalonia on the saints day of Saint Gerasimus who is the patron saint of Kefalonia. Regions in Greece will have what is called a patron saint, who is said to protect and watch over the island. As you will see in the video, everyone from the surrounding area and villages will gather for this very important celebration and ceremony, it is truly a delight to see!

Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter